Skip to main content

Topic: No more file type icons in explorer (Read 4611 times) previous topic - next topic

• Squeller
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
No more file type icons in explorer
I admit this is half OT. The picture explains the problem: Windows 2000 doesn't show the fb2k icons for the file extensions any more. I think it happened after accidentally associating audio files to mplayer (by mplayer setup). I re-associated with the foobar preferences function "associate all". But that didn't help. I mean, the file types are associated with fb2k, but the icons do not show up.

In the picture you see, everything seems to be set right. Any ideas?

• Squeller
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #1
I couldn't solve it. Even after deleting the affected extensions out of the explorer options (the file associations options) and re-associating with fb2k, and after cleaning the icon cache with tweak ui, the icons stay the same.

• M
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #2
Have you tried changing the icon for the filetype, letting the icon cache reload, and then changing it back to the fb2k icon?

- M.

• kjoonlee
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #3
TweakUI for Windows 9x used to have a "rebuild icon cache" feature.

I see it also works with Windows 2000.

and after cleaning the icon cache with tweak ui, the icons stay the same.

Oops.

• roentgen
  • [*][*][*][*]
Reply #4
Try deleting everything under 'HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts' (it's harmless). Or at least try deleting those keys that refer to audio file types

• Squeller
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #5
Have you tried changing the icon for the filetype

Done.

, letting the icon cache reload,

Done.

and then changing it back to the fb2k icon?

Done, and, tada: didn't help.

Even more confusing, when I changed an extension of a file from lowercase to uppercase, windows showed the correct icon in that case. Case sensitive? W0000TTt?

I reluctantly installed an extension manager shareware. This also showed up everything was fine with my extensions I tested. But when I used this software to re-save the extension, it really repaired it. It does do something more than the fb2k file association dialog, but I don't know what. In HKCR I don't see any differences between the broken and working file types.

@Roentgen: "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts" does only hold the "open with" history here on w2k. Deleting didn't solve the problem.

EDIT. ROENTGEN WAS RIGHT. Deleting the extension in "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\" AND THEN re-associating with foobar solved the problem.
So I think foobars file association function should first delete "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\[filetype]" and the associate file types in order to work properly, shouldn't it?

What I also see is, after I disassociate all fb2k file extensions then, the mpui supported ones get the icon of mpui again. mpui as a 2nd choice in a way. Which leads me to the result that foobar does not fully kill old file associations, but I don't know what exactly happens.

Anyway, re-association works now, thx roentgen.
  • Last Edit: 04 November, 2006, 05:57:25 AM by Squeller

• Squeller
  • [*][*][*][*][*]
Reply #6
OK, this is for Peter.

LoRd_MuldeR over at doom9.org ran into file assoc problems as well and describes what is necessary:

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=117083

File Asscociations are not only stored at
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.foo
They are also stored here
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.foo

To set it up properly, it needs to clean up both locations!

Code: [Select]
Section
DeleteRegKey HKCR ".foo"
DeleteRegKey HKCU "Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.foo"
WriteRegStr HKCR ".foo" "" "FooFile"

DeleteRegKey HKCR "FooFile"
WriteRegStr HKCR "FooFile" "" "Foo File Type"
WriteRegStr HKCR "FooFile\DefaultIcon" "" "foo.exe,0"
WriteRegStr HKCR "Foo"

The latter is an NSIS script.