Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Step by step guide to use ratings with foobar2000 0.9.5 (Read 192595 times) previous topic - next topic

Step by step guide to use ratings with foobar2000 0.9.5

Reply #75
Thanks for this thread, it was helpful.

Anyone know of anyone, any thread using the "Playback Statistics" to control how often a track is selected in RANDOM or SHUFFLE?

Maybe something that checks/sets a var based on the rating to have the track selected a number on times before it actual plays it, then once it is played, resets the var to 0.

Reply #76
Hi,

I am using Foobar v1.2 with Default User Interface under Windows 7 x64. Before that I had previous versions of foobar and rating implementation I found in this topic works like charm but with current version I got problem.

Stars are not filled after assigned but I received rating confirmation message. The font is Segoe UI. I have double checked all settings and all are proper as I follow instructions from the first post in this topic.

Any tip or clue would be helpful
Many thanks

Reply #77
Try $meta(rating) instead when displaying them.
Windows 10 Pro x64 // foobar2000 1.3.10

Reply #78
like this?

$pad($meta(★,%rating%), 5,✩)

doesn't work

Reply #79
No, that is instead of %rating%, the whole thing.
Windows 10 Pro x64 // foobar2000 1.3.10

Reply #80
$pad($repeat(★,$meta(rating)), 5,✩)

thanks but still no effect

Reply #81
guys please help me out, I am greenhorn in scripting and I am dying to get the rating back to foobar, can't live without it.

Reply #82
If you use foo_playcount for ratings, then it will allow you to add a column %rating_stars% or %rating_stars_fixed%. By default though, foo_playcount will store ratings in a database as opposed to writing the rating as a tag in the file. This behavior can be changed by setting Preferences->Advanced->Tools->Playback Statistics->Automatically synchronize file tags with statistics.

Reply #83
disko78

as you learn foobar2000 and read threads it is good to keep a couple thoughts in mind. How old is the thread and is it active. This thread was started 3 years ago and directly references an out of date version of foobar2000 and is not very active.

As pointed out above, it is probable that this task is easier to accomplish than the steps outlined in this thread. You could also use foo_simplaylist as your playlist viewer and avoid having to even add a custom column with titleformatting.

regards

Reply #84
I got it now,
Apologies for spamming, thanks a lot for your effort

Reply #85
Just thought I'd throw my hunk of script out there. The code's a little ugly, but it works!
Supports FLAC tags as well!

Preview:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Code: [Select]
$ifequal(%rating%,100,$char(9733)$char(9733)$char(9733)$char(9733)$char(9733),
$ifequal(%rating%,80,$char(9733)$char(9733)$char(9733)$char(9733)$char(9734),
$ifequal(%rating%,60,$char(9733)$char(9733)$char(9733)$char(9734)$char(9734),
$ifequal(%rating%,40,$char(9733)$char(9733)$char(9734)$char(9734)$char(9734),
$ifequal(%rating%,20,$char(9733)$char(9734)$char(9734)$char(9734)$char(9734),
$ifequal(%rating%,5,$char(9733)$char(9733)$char(9733)$char(9733)$char(9733),
$ifequal(%rating%,4,$char(9733)$char(9733)$char(9733)$char(9733)$char(9734),
$ifequal(%rating%,3,$char(9733)$char(9733)$char(9733)$char(9734)$char(9734),
$ifequal(%rating%,2,$char(9733)$char(9733)$char(9734)$char(9734)$char(9734),
$ifequal(%rating%,1,$char(9733)$char(9734)$char(9734)$char(9734)$char(9734),
$char(9734)$char(9734)$char(9734)$char(9734)$char(9734)))))))))))

Reply #86
Seems it didn't like that code anymore...

Reply #87
Try one of these:
Code: [Select]
$ifgreater($meta(rating),5,$pad($repeat(★,$div($meta(rating),20)),5,☆),$if($meta(rating),$pad($repeat(★,$meta(rating)),5,☆),$repeat(☆,5)))

$ifgreater($meta(rating),5,$pad($repeat(★,$div($meta(rating),20)),5,☆),$ifgreater($meta(rating),0,$pad($repeat(★,$meta(rating)),5,☆),$repeat(☆,5)))

Either one should do what your script does.

Note that if you have the Playback Statistics component (AKA foo_playcount) installed, %rating% is commandeered by that component and is used to access ratings stored in that component's database. Thus in order to access ratings stored in a file's metadata, $meta(rating) must be used. I don't know if this is the issue you were experiencing with your script, but it's one possibility.

Reply #88
That's probably why my original script broke. foo_playcount must have bugged after I installed another component.
That code looks so professional. I'm glad I didn't spend too long on mine or I'd feel like total crap right now lol

Reply #89
Hi,

I am using Win7 x64, and I have Arial Unicode MS installed with Microsoft Office 2007, and I can select that font in any program - except Foobar. I need that font to display the stars correctly, but how can I actually select that font? I only have the ordinary Arial available for selection, but Arial Unicode MS is missing

Any idea?

Reply #90
you don't need arial unicode MS to display stars on windows 7. it should work with most fonts and certainly does if you stick with the default of Segoe UI.

Reply #91
you don't need arial unicode MS to display stars on windows 7. it should work with most fonts and certainly does if you stick with the default of Segoe UI.

The behaviour on my Win7 x64 is somehow strange:
- the characters definitely don't display with the default font, all I get is squares instead.
- Arial Unicode MS was installed, but it was "disabled" in my fonts folder, I had to right click the font and enable it (German Translation of Windows is "Einblenden", I have no idea what that context menu entry is named in an english Win7).

so Arial Unicode is working now, but how do I get it working with Segoe UI? This is what my Fonts folder looks like:

Reply #92
you shouldn't have to do anything. it should just work. i'm running windows 7 x64 myself and i have stars in my playlist. i haven't touched any font or any other windows system settings.

you're not running google chrome are you? it seems to interfere with special characters in this thread:

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....showtopic=99606

other than that, i have no idea how you would troubleshoot this.

Reply #93
you shouldn't have to do anything. it should just work. i'm running windows 7 x64 myself and i have stars in my playlist. i haven't touched any font or any other windows system settings.

you're not running google chrome are you? it seems to interfere with special characters in this thread:

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....showtopic=99606

other than that, i have no idea how you would troubleshoot this.

Well, maybe another setup interferred? I cannot tell since formerly, I never tried, but what I realized: I can display Unicode Font $char(9733) without problems in MS Office 2007 when I select Segoe UI, but what office does is instead change the font from Segoe UI to "MS Gothic", so there seems to be some font indirection, I don't know exactly, since I am not familiar with how Windows handles fonts at all. When I select MS Gothic in Foobar, the star is displayed, but the rest of the text is in MS Unicode too, which isn't nice.

Reply #94
There are so many codes and references on other code on this thread.. can anyone please post a step-by-step tutorial on how to make ratings work on clean 1.2.5 with default UI? Thanks.

Reply #95
Should anyone be interested, I used a simple workaround to avoid changing the display font. Simply go to Word (or any other program you use), change to Microsoft Sans Serif font, which is the default font you get when installing foobar2000, go into the "Insert special character mode", select again Microsoft Sans Serif, and look for the two characters you want to use. In my case, I finally opted for a single black dot, and the space character:

$pad($repeat(●,%rating%), 5, )

The space is just after the 5,

As can be seen by comparing this with the original script which was:

$pad($repeat(★,%rating%), 5,✩)

I have simply changed the star characters ★ and ✩ for ● and <space> respectively.

I've also found that viewing my ratings column such as:

●●●

●●●●
●●
●●●●●

looks cleaner than:

★★★✩✩
★✩✩✩✩
★★★★✩
★★✩✩✩
★★★★★

Maybe this last part is a question of personal taste, but I hope the first part of this post will be helpful for those that don't want to change the default fonts in foobar2000.

My personal gratitude to jayjo for having gone to the bother of starting this topic with his "step by step guide", which is now over five years old and still live and kicking!!!

Reply #96
Note that if you have the Playback Statistics component (AKA foo_playcount) installed, %rating% is commandeered by that component and is used to access ratings stored in that component's database. Thus in order to access ratings stored in a file's metadata, $meta(rating) must be used. I don't know if this is the issue you were experiencing with your script, but it's one possibility.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! I was having issues and all I had to do was replace %rating% with $meta(rating) and now I can use foo_playcount and the rating guide that this told  Again, THANK YOU!!!
<--adamf9898-->

Reply #97
I have a question is is possible to have play count stats as  number in a column next to the rating column?

Reply #98
Your question is not really relevant to this thread, but anyway. Yes, it should be trivial to add a new column to display the play count. It might help if you had specified which UI and playlist viewer you are using, but the process should be much the same regardless.

Are you using foo_playcount? If so, check its documentation and see that the number of plays is stored in a database (not in the files) and is accessed in title-formatting using the title-formatting mapping %play_count%. Simply add a new column, in whichever way your UI/viewer requires, and enter this mapping as its string.

If you are not using foo_playcount and store your statistics within the files themselves, managing thbem in some other way, use whichever mapping corresponds to your files.

If you do have foo_playcount installed but also have files with a count stored internally, you can use said count as normal unless its name is play_count. If so, foo_playcount hijacks the mapping %play_count% as noted above, so the internal count should be accessed using $meta(play_count) instead.

Reply #99
Step 4: Set Up Quick Tagger for "Rating" tag
Open Foobar Preferences -> Tools -> Tagging -> Quick Tagger
Click "Add New" button

Howdy I don't have this quick tagger option.