Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Syntax for playlist Group scheme, Album + Date ?. (Read 11412 times) previous topic - next topic

Syntax for playlist Group scheme, Album + Date ?.

I display my music within all playlists by grouping by %album%

I would like to display/croup by "album" and "year" problem is with albums that have more than one year in the tags, like various albums, these then displayed fractured, i.e. by tracks with the same album name. very untidy and annoying.

Can someone help me with the syntax to create a way of displaying/grouping by "albums" with the "year" and to ignore the year if there are multiple years in the tags ?.

Thank you.
More stars in the universe than grains of beach sand

Reply #1
I'd use an additional tag RELEASE DATE, which should the same across all tracks of a VA album, and then group by $if3(%RELEASE DATE%,%YEAR%,%DATE%) or similar.
It's only audiophile if it's inconvenient.

Reply #2
I'd use an additional tag RELEASE DATE, which should the same across all tracks of a VA album, and then group by $if3(%RELEASE DATE%,%YEAR%,%DATE%) or similar.

Thanks for your reply.

I really don't want to create another field in my big collection.
Besides the various albums which I have compiled I have also compiled my best of for a single artist, So I'd really prefer the group scheme to ignore the "year" if there's more than one year within a album.

to display for intact album;

-----------"Lou Reed Did LSD" (1969)-------------------------------------------

and for various or best of;

-----------"Various Album or Best Of Shyte Artist" ()--------------------------

how would I do that ?.

thanks

Reply #3
that's not possible.

Reply #4
that's not possible.

ok, so there's no way of saying...

[If, Year is more than 1, display (), else, (xxxx)]

Reply #5
title formatting works on a per track basis so it would be possible to check if it has multiple values.

but you're wanting to look at the dates of all tracks within an album and that's the part that isn't possible.

Reply #6
title formatting works on a per track basis so it would be possible to check if it has multiple values.
aha, so it could be possible.

but you're wanting to look at the dates of all tracks within an album and that's the part that isn't possible.
but but, If it scans each track then it should be possible to manipulate the scanned data with the correct syntax,

and here I thought that anything was possible with 0's and 1's.

Thanks for all your input, I'm in denial about this.....
"Scotty there MUST be a way"

Reply #7
You can use a lot of things as a switch (marked with purple) to toggle the date display. This one checks whether ALBUM ARTIST is 'VA'.
$if($stricmp(%album artist%,VA),%album%,%album% '('%date%')')

If you don't want to use that tag (although it would be really efficient) and you have all of your albums tagged as 'Best of ...', you can also validate that instead:
$if($stricmp($left(%album%,8),'Best of ',%album%,%album% '('%date%')')

Reply #8
You can use a lot of things as a switch (marked with purple) to toggle the date display. This one checks whether ALBUM ARTIST is 'VA'.

If you don't want to use that tag (although it would be really efficient) and you have all of your albums tagged as 'Best of ...', you can also validate that instead:
$if($stricmp($left(%album%,8),'Best of ',%album%,%album% '('%date%')')

Thank you for the explanation and for giving me the correct syntax, I can now "see" how I can manipulate those two If clauses.

Reply #9
Ok, I finally plagiarized and hacked this;

$if($stricmp($directory(%path%),various),$directory(%path%,2) - $caps($directory(%path%)),$if(%album artist%,$if($stricmp(%album artist%,%artist%),$if2(%album%,$directory_path(%path%)),$if(%compilation%,%album% '[by]' %album artist%,%album artist%)),$if2(%album%,$directory(%path%))))

EDIT;
I simplified it to this;
$if($stricmp($directory(%path%),various),$directory(%path%,2) - $caps($directory(%path%)),$if(%album artist%,$if($stricmp(%album artist%,%artist%),$if2(%album%,$directory_path(%path%))))))

it groups my Various just fine with no year, but no year after intact albums either.

Can someone be so kind as to try and decipher why it doesn't display the year with my intact albums.

I'm really lost in this syntax...

Reply #10
I have no idea what that’s meant to be, but it’s no wonder it doesn’t show the year, because it doesn’t have %date% anywhere in it…

Did you actually try what Daeron suggested? Change “VA” there for whatever you actually use, e.g. ‘Various Artists’.

Reply #11
I have no idea what that’s meant to be,
a syntax illiterate has stumped the pros, nah....

but it’s no wonder it doesn’t show the year, because it doesn’t have %date% anywhere in it…
I'll randomly insert %date% until it works, (stopped trying that, madness is not my objective).

Did you actually try what Daeron suggested? Change “VA” there for whatever you actually use, e.g. ‘Various Artists’.
yes I did try what Daeron suggested but his syntax doesn't keep my Various albums grouped as one album irrespective of year, it groups identical years by track with album title, that's why I went "hunting" and found that syntax above.

Well at least it groups my various stuff correctly now, I'm grateful for that.

Thanks for all your assistance.

Reply #12
I have no idea what that’s meant to be,
a syntax illiterate has stumped the pros, nah....
Heh, thanks – it was just too early in the morning  Nah, I don’t have very advanced knowledge of title-formatting. Chances are, members who do can help you out with something that both is simpler and actually works for you!

yes I did try what Daeron suggested but his syntax doesn't keep my Various albums grouped as one album irrespective of year, it groups identical years by track with album title
Hmm, I’m not sure why this is. It might help Daeron or someone else to figure this out if you specify which UI you’re using and where you’re entering the grouping string; mentioning things like that is usually a good idea.

Reply #13
and here I thought that anything was possible with 0's and 1's.

0s and 1s yes; foobar's query and grouping scheme, obviously not.

You can do anything with metal and wood; you can't do everything with a hammer.

Reply #14
yes I did try what Daeron suggested but his syntax doesn't keep my Various albums grouped as one album irrespective of year, it groups identical years by track with album title.

I highly doubt that, unless you messed up either the tags/syntax.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3164833/random/VA.png

Also I highly recommend using the %album artist% tag instead of %path%, which is really clumsy. You don't even have to re-tag most of your files as if %album artist% is missing, it auto-completes with %artist% (check the wiki). After that you'll be able to use %track artist% as well, available if %album artist% differs from %artist%, which happens when you are dealing with VA albums (and does not require any additional tagging).

You can try other methods too, but really, there is a reason why these exist and that is efficiency.

Reply #15
You can do anything with metal and wood; you can't do everything with a hammer.
Err wrong.. Engineers maxim, "The Bigger The Problem The Bigger The Hammer"

Reply #16
You can try other methods too, but really, there is a reason why these exist and that is efficiency.

My music is immaculately tagged (ID3 v2.3 only), so I don't know why your syntax doesn't work, but I'll keep at it.

Thank you kindly for all your help.

Reply #17

yes, but it does not anything else
$stricmp(%album artist%,VA) may return 1 but it never returns true
therefore you need something along $ifequal($stricmp(%album artist%,VA),1,something,something else)

Reply #18
Try providing further details then. For example a picture would be good about the current results (the VA album being shredded by dates), including the properties view like what I did on mine.

You basically need 3 things for this to work: the grouping pattern, the %album artist% field filled as 'VA' and the album names being the same. If these are correct, it should work regardless of anything else.

$stricmp(%album artist%,VA) may return 1 but it never returns true

1 equals true.

Reply #19
1 equals true.

well, my bad then
it apperantly does, the last time i tried however, i was under the impression 1 was just an integer, must have been a screw up on my part in the title fofmatting then

sorry for interupting...

Reply #20
You basically need 3 things for this to work: the grouping pattern, the %album artist% field filled as 'VA' and the album names being the same. If these are correct, it should work regardless of anything else.
I finally got your syntax to work partially.

Your syntax; $if($stricmp(%album artist%,Various),%album%,%album% '('%date%')') < unable to attain correct grouping >

My syntax; $if($stricmp(%album%,Various),%album%'('%date%')',%album% ) < correct grouping for all, but no date at all >

My Syntax; $if($stricmp(%album%,Various),%album%,%album%'('%date%')' ) < incorrect grouping, with date >

My syntax; $if($stricmp(%album%,Various),%album% ,%album% (%date%)) < correct grouping for all, no date >

Reply #21
Maybe I'm thinking wrong, but why would %album% be Various? Therefore $stricmp(%album%,Various) should always return 0.

Reply #22
My syntax; $if($stricmp(%album%,Various),%album% ,%album% (%date%)) < correct grouping for all, no date >

The reason this 'works' is that you have no '' markers around the () symbols in the red part, therefore that as a whole gets ignored altogether. Consequently, regardless of whether the first part equals true, you end up with the same grouping pattern. The whole syntax literally equals with just: %album%

I also wonder why do you check whether your albums' name equals with 'Various'? Are all of your various albums tagged that way? How do you distinguish between each compilation if they all have the same name? I still highly recommend you getting used to %album artist% tags, which makes a lot more sense. Check the example below.

Code: [Select]
%album artist% / (%date%) - %album% / %tracknumber%. %title% (%track artist%)

VA / (2011) Batman - Arkham City / 01. Mercenary (Panic! At The Disco)
VA / (2011) Batman - Arkham City / 02. Deranged (Coheed And Cambria)
VA / (2011) Batman - Arkham City / 03. Creature (The Duke Spirit)
VA / (2011) Batman - Arkham City / 04. Shadow On The Run (Black Rebel Motorcycle Club)
VA / (2011) Batman - Arkham City / 05. Afterdark (Blaqk Audio)
VA / (2006) FlatOut 2 / 01. Nowhere Ride (The Chelsea Smiles)
VA / (2006) FlatOut 2 / 02. Fall Victim (Alkaline Trio)
VA / (2006) FlatOut 2 / 03. Blood Brothers (Papa Roach)
VA / (2006) FlatOut 2 / 04. Road To Rouen (Supergrass)
VA / (2006) FlatOut 2 / 05. Mercy Me (Alkaline Trio)

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3164833/random/VA2.png

Nice and clean. If you tag your files this way and use that syntax which I gave you first, you should have zero problems.

Reply #23
I have read the OP's initial post a number of times and his problem does not define itself clearly to me;

For one of these album types, the Tags always define like this:

$directory_path(%path%)            is constant (all the tracks live in the same parent folder)
                           $meta(album)            is constant, and always contains the string "Various" .
                              $meta(date)           is variable .
                   $meta(album artist)            is  ...I'm not sure !?
                             $meta(artist)           is variable   (obviously the track artist names will be different)
                               $meta(title)           is variable   (obviously the track title names will be different)

Is this the scope of things ...or is there something else ?

Is this a sorting problem, or is it a playlist viewer grouping display problem ?

Reply #24
So far I understood it like: he has one parent folder, a possible subfolder named 'Various' which may contains all the VA albums. Those also seem to have all tagged as %album% = 'Various' and have no %album artist% tags at all. Other tags change on per-track basis. It's a grouping problem. It would be possible to adjust the code to either check whether the subfolder is Various ($if($stricmp($directory(%path%,2),Various)) or whether the album is 'Various' ($if($stricmp(%album%,Various)), I just don't see the point since its clumsy. Using %album artist% would make much more sense.