Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Optimfrog Dualstream - Android support? (Read 4592 times) previous topic - next topic

Optimfrog Dualstream - Android support?

Is there any audio player for android that support Optimfrog/Dualstream?
I can't find any information.

Re: Optimfrog Dualstream - Android support?

Reply #1
foobar mobile

Reply #2
How?

Reply #3
well, no how...

Reply #4
If you can point to an open source implementation of a decoder, that would be required to support it on either iOS or Android, seeing as the Windows version already needs a proprietary decoder to support it.

Reply #5
There are rules with app stores that prohibit plug-ins, and so Foobar2000 mobile doesn't have plug-in support.
https://www.reddit.com/r/foobar2000/comments/73rbg4/can_you_use_components_on_mobile/

Android OS isn't too restricted that a plug-in version of the app could be distributed outside the Play Store... but the decoder is proprietary such that only official OptimFROG builds/libraries comply with licensing. It may be a while before they make an ARM-based library that could be used for mobile. (And it may happen anyway if Mac OS X is going to ARM.)

It would be easier to just convert the files to FLAC or WavPack.

Reply #6
Thanks for your answers. ;) I'll stick with wavpack for now until mr. Ghido develop android library (I hope he will).

Reply #7
What is the deal here ? android won't  /can't  support 3rd party plugin ? hard to believe.. These things were working in win 95/98 on  many players. I read recently Deadbeef or audacious would have a Optimfrog plugin - why cant android?

Reply #9
I read recently Deadbeef or audacious would have a Optimfrog plugin - why cant android?
Because there is OptimFrog library for Linux, but there is no OptimFrog library for android.

if ape can (without sources), maybe ofr too ...
APE is open source, but with very restrictive license. And there is APE decoder in ffmpeg. For example, mobile foobar2000 uses ffmpeg for APE decoding.