Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Feature request: How hard would it be to add a dark mode to Foobar? (Read 14577 times) previous topic - next topic

Feature request: How hard would it be to add a dark mode to Foobar?

First let me answer some common responses I have read in any threads talking about extra aesthetic customization options for DUI:
1- Yes, I know Foobar follows the Windows 10 theme. But to make all the frames and scroll bars black you need to enable high contrast settings which look hideous.
2- Yes, I know it would be too much to ask for DUI to support skins. Which is why I'm not asking for that. I just want to be able to make the features which already exist in fb2k dark.
3- No, I don't want to switch over to columns UI because: 1- I'm not a programming genius 2- I can't live without simplaylist and facets.
4- "foobar is about functionality not about looks": Google "communist architecture" to see what that philosophy leads to.
5- "nobody wants that!": Yes, I actually heard people say this in one thread! There's an entire community dedicated to skinning foobar, yet I'm supposed to believe that nobody wants more colour customization options in DUI?

If you need me to sell you on this idea. Let me say the following: Clearly other jukebox software programs like musicbee, roon, itunes etc. are inferior to fb2k in pretty much every conceivable way......except for visually. And I believe that is the main reason why people use those programs instead of fb2k. Now, because foobar is free software there's not really a financial argument to be made here, but I assume that the devs would like their program to be as popular as possible.

The default white/grey colors of the columns are pretty much impossible to match up with any darker panel colors as the contrast is simply too high. Which means the DUI is pretty much restricted to light colors which is a major impediment to customization options. There's a reason why the overwhelming majority of CUI skins have dark(er) themes.

It seems slightly bizarre to me that you're able to customize every little irrelevant detail in foobar even down to the button images and their functions. Yet nothing can be done about the ultra white columns and scroll bars which seem like relics from windows 64.
Hhhmmmm Croissants.....

Re: Feature request: How hard would it be to add a dark mode to Foobar?

Reply #2
I would like dark theme too. But, like already said it depends on windows theme and since windows 10 1809 microsoft introduced dark mode (to some of its elements, not all are covered) there is still hope to make it happen.
Somewhere, there's someone dying in a foreign land
Meanwhile, the world is crying stupidity of man
Tell me why, tell me why

Reply #3
1- Yes, I know Foobar follows the Windows 10 theme. But to make all the frames and scroll bars black you need to enable high contrast settings which look hideous.

I agree the built-in dark themes are a joke.

I recommend 'Window Blinds' - free demo to try and otherwise only $10. Now FB and ALL my apps are easy on the eyes.

(I have no connection to the developer other than being very satisfied with the product)

Reply #4
Agree x3. I must admit I've had the occasional daydream that if I had only taken C++ programing back in school, what I might do if I could make my own foobar components. :)) I have wondered if possible to replicate the DUI containers - tabs, splitters - exactly as they are but with an additional right-click option for 'Colors...'. The fact that no-one has done this in ~16 years since foobar entered the world, leads me to believe such a thing is probably not possible with the SDK, or without a complete reworking such as CUI. And if not possible by a third party, I think I would rather see our friendly developer continue to keep foobar functional rather than take time to change its form.

(This is a lot of supposition of course)

In any case, hope Microsoft can improve the dark mode themes for sure, without people having to use DLL hacks. That would be ideal.

Reply #5
Dark mode could really help with the popularization of fb2k among non tech-savvy folks, that's for sure (that is, if such popularization is desired at all).
I have several friends who refused to use fb2k just because of it's `Win95` looks (some of them were still converted to fb2k religion though, thanks to various dark themes).

Reply #6
Well, consider. The entire Default UI is based on system controls, or derived from system controls. You should be asking why Windows does not apply a Dark Mode to all Win32 applications in a generic way, and why only the Explorer application was so "blessed" with a dark mode when the user configures their account so.

Reply #7
I recommend 'Window Blinds'

There's a name I haven't heard in 20 years. I'm stunned it still exists/maintained.

Reply #8
You should be asking why Windows does not apply a Dark Mode to all Win32 applications in a generic way
The reason I don't ask that question is because I already know the answer. It's all about money. Windows only cares about making money, which is also why they are sabotaging their software with a bunch of annoying uninstallable bloatware. It's absolutely ridiculous that the first thing I have to do with a new windows installation is install a program in order to uninstall the massive amounts of bloatware.

As long as Windows has the monopoly I know that optimizing these features for the user isn't their primary objective (tracking people and stealing their data is).

This is exactly the reason why I ask for a dark mode for foobar. I'm sick and tired of waiting on big tech companies to introduce simple and blatantly obvious features. If you look at all the hydrogenaudio posts talking about a dark mode for foobar, you'll see that they go back more than 10 years. And as this thread clearly proves there are many people including senior members who would like to see this feature come to foobar. And I imagine the users of many other popular programs would like to see a dark mode for theirs too.

So my point is that if windows still hasn't enabled something this simple and obvious then I feel at this point it's safe to say that it's never going to happen.

Don't get me wrong, I love foobar, it's absolutely fantastic the way it is. I just feel that this feature has been talked about so much and for so long that it deserves a little more recognition.
Hhhmmmm Croissants.....

Reply #9
Dark mode could really help with the popularization of fb2k among non tech-savvy folks, that's for sure (that is, if such popularization is desired at all).

If you look through the hydrogenaudio forum you'll see that talk about a dark mode goes back as far as 10 years now. This oft repeated idea that a dark mode simply isn't wanted is a myth that needs to die. Your own experience is exactly the same as mine, MANY people would love a dark mode. You even talk about people refusing to use foobar all together because of the win95 look. Just look at the hardware industry, everything is programmable RGB nowadays. And there's a good reason for that. People want colour customization. 

It's also not even really about tech-savvy vs non tech-savvy. If you want any kind of colour customization for the menu bars and scroll bars you need to switch to CUI. Which is simply inferior because you can't use facets.
In a poll I saw on this forum facets was listed as the main reason why 70% of the fb2k users still use DUI.
Hhhmmmm Croissants.....

Reply #10
A dark theme is possible on Windows XP and looks nice in Foobar. It still conflicts with other applications that has icons, light custom panels, or hardcoded dark grey disabled elements. Maybe that is one reason why applying it system-wide is not such a good idea.

We seem to have gone full circle back to the negative color scheme of DOS, to avoid flicker from 60/70hz monitor, and probably what they used in 1964. Microsoft have been progressively whitening the standard theme for years, since Windows 2000, to the point where everything is pure white in Windows 10. Windows 95-grey is nowhere near as bad. Go figure why they thought it was a good idea at the time when high light output LCDs became common. Now suddenly "dark" is trendy again.

Reply #11
I am 100% with you on this.

In the meantime, however, could anyone suggest please how to turn those file menu panels, etc. into dark colours with using the minimum plugins/tweaking necessary? Many thanks!