Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Recommendation for Headphones for daily use? (Read 18949 times) previous topic - next topic

Recommendation for Headphones for daily use?

Hello guys.  It's been a while since I posted here.

This time I need help with recommendations on good over-ear headphones that I would be using daily at work, to listen to music while working, and to listening to courses also.

Ideally not more than 100, 150 if it really, really is that much better... but I will be hesitant to pay 200 (does it really makes such a difference 100 vs 200 or is it pure marketing?)

I know that the ideal thing will be to go to a place where they are sold and test them, but where I live there are very few options, so I will be importing them from the USA.

Thanks!

EDIT: extra points if it has a mic and can be used to talk on my Google Pixel.

Re: Recommendation for Headphones for daily use?

Reply #1
In an office you can take out all the open back headphones.
It all depends if you like a cold or warm sound. Bass heavy, neutral or treble heavy sound.
Some good closed back headphones:

Sennheiser HD280 Pro - A bit ugly, but my favorite sounding closed back headphone.
Shure SRH440 - A little bit more bass
Audio-Technica ATH-M40x - Lots of Bass

Reply #2
Thanks, in general, I prefer more neutral sounds.

Reply #3
It all depends if you like a cold or warm sound. Bass heavy, neutral or treble heavy sound.

Sennheiser HD280 Pro - A bit ugly, but my favorite sounding closed back headphone.
What about:
Philips SHP9500
Sennheiser HD 558
JVC HARX900
Audio-Technica ATH-M30x

Also, are the Sony MDR-1000X or Bose QC35 so much better to command a 300+ price or is it just snobbism?

Reply #4
all open back headphones are probably a no-no for you because they leak sound and you mentioned that you're planning to use them at work.

Reply #5
Hello guys.  It's been a while since I posted here.

This time I need help with recommendations on good over-ear headphones that I would be using daily at work, to listen to music while working, and to listening to courses also.

Ideally not more than 100, 150 if it really, really is that much better... but I will be hesitant to pay 200 (does it really makes such a difference 100 vs 200 or is it pure marketing?)

I know that the ideal thing will be to go to a place where they are sold and test them, but where I live there are very few options, so I will be importing them from the USA.

Thanks!

EDIT: extra points if it has a mic and can be used to talk on my Google Pixel.

That phone should be running a version of Android which supports a little piece of Android software called Neutralizer. It does what it says - tends to neutralize the colorations of your headphones and overcome limitations of your hearing.

Give the free trial download a spin. If it can work for you, it could make a wider selection of headphones including something you may already own meet your goals.

Reply #6
all open back headphones are probably a no-no for you because they leak sound and you mentioned that you're planning to use them at work.
Correct, open back headphones are a no go.

Reply #7

What about:
Philips SHP9500
Sennheiser HD 558
JVC HARX900
Audio-Technica ATH-M30x

Also, are the Sony MDR-1000X or Bose QC35 so much better to command a 300+ price or is it just snobbism?

All those headphones except the Audio-Technica ATH-M30x are open back.

I would only get the Bose QC35 to use on a plane or in an environment with lots of *loud* background noise. The sound quality is not bad. Not up to par with similar priced closed headphones.

Reply #8
All those headphones except the Audio-Technica ATH-M30x are open back.

I would only get the Bose QC35 to use on a plane or in an environment with lots of *loud* background noise. The sound quality is not bad. Not up to par with similar priced closed headphones.
So far the options I see are:
Sennheiser HD280PRO $100
Audio-Technica ATH-M40x $100

There is also the Audio-Technica ATH-M30x for $70.

Any other options? And, will it be better to extend to the 150 range?

Reply #9
There is also the Sony MDR-7506.
I would rather go for one of the Audio-Technicas because a lot of people will find the Sony MDR-7506 and HD280PRO too flat and lifeless.
Also the HD280PRO's headband isn't very durable. The headphones have to be removed carefully without stretching them out too far. I've broken my previous pair like that.

Reply #10
There is also the Sony MDR-7506.
I would rather go for one of the Audio-Technicas because a lot of people will find the Sony MDR-7506 and HD280PRO too flat and lifeless.
Also the HD280PRO's headband isn't very durable. The headphones have to be removed carefully without stretching them out too far. I've broken my previous pair like that.
Thanks, any comments on ATH-M40x vs ATH-M30x?

Also, any experience with the Status Audio CB-1? I have never heard of them, but they have 315 customers review at amazon with 4.8 over 5 and cost a very reazonable 80 bucks.

Reply #11
I haven't heard the ATH-M30x before and only heard the ATH-M40x briefly. The ATH-M40x had a bit too much bass for my tastes.

This guy on YouTube who does lots of headphone reviews has a review about the Status Audio CB-1:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_BxKsGurII

Reply #13
Sennheiser HD280PRO
I have hd380 (~150$ on amazon.com) and old version of hd280 and i would say that hd380 are much more comfortable than old version of hd280. Don't know how it will be in comparison with new version of hd280. But from picture it seems that main difference between old and new version is headband, but earpads remains the same. hd380's earpads have more free space fo ears. And hd380 seems more neutral to me.

Reply #14
I have hd380 (~150$ on amazon.com) and old version of hd280 and i would say that hd380 are much more comfortable than old version of hd280. Don't know how it will be in comparison with new version of hd280. But from picture it seems that main difference between old and new version is headband, but earpads remains the same. hd380's earpads have more free space fo ears. And hd380 seems more neutral to me.
Is it worth it the extra 50 to 70 compared to the others?

Z Reviews think that the HD380Pro is too tight to be used for long periods of time... what do you think?

Reply #15
Is it worth it the extra 50 to 70 compared to the others?
In comparison with hd280, i think, yes. But i never used m40x or m30x. Here is review on HD380 vs m50 (not X) i am mostly agreed with - https://innerspacelabs.wordpress.com/2011/09/09/sennheiser-hd-380-pro-vs-audio-technica-ath-m50.

Reviews think that the HD380Pro is too tight to be used for long periods of time... what do you think?
As i said, for me hd30 are  more comfoprtable than hd280 (old version). They give less physical fatigue than hd280, but hold position on head better.  I can wear hd380 continuously for 4-5 hours with no discomfort. But all people have different heads and ears.  :D

Anyway, preferences in headphones are very subjective.

Reply #16
I have listened to the HD380Pro and it was very comfortable for me, but I didn't like the sound at all. The HD380 sounds warmer than the HD280.

Reply #17
Consider also Beyerdynamic DT770.

Closed back and available in a variety of impedances to suit. At least for me, very comfortable.

Reply #18
Consider also Beyerdynamic DT770.

Closed back and available in a variety of impedances to suit. At least for me, very comfortable.
How can I know which impedance to use?

Reply #19
In comparison with hd280, i think, yes. But i never used m40x or m30x. Here is review on HD380 vs m50 (not X) i am mostly agreed with - https://innerspacelabs.wordpress.com/2011/09/09/sennheiser-hd-380-pro-vs-audio-technica-ath-m50.
As far as I understand, the M50X is very bad. Are the M50 better?

As i said, for me hd30 are  more comfoprtable than hd280 (old version). They give less physical fatigue than hd280, but hold position on head better.  I can wear hd380 continuously for 4-5 hours with no discomfort. But all people have different heads and ears.
I see.

Reply #20
How can I know which impedance to use?
What are you driving them with?

Lower impedance gives you more power/loudness at a given voltage.    (Impedance or resistance, in Ohms, is the "resistance" to current flow, and with lower impedance you get more current.   The 250 Ohm version may not get loud enough with a regular soundcard or phone, depending on the soundcard/phone and how loud you like to listen.

Some headphone amplifier circuits have a capacitor that "interacts" with the load impedance forming a high-pass filter.    So with lower impedance headphones you may loose some bass.  

Reply #22
ATH-M50 would be an excellent choice.
Not so bass pronounced,  medium impedance and very low harmonic distortion.
The best sealed headphone for 150$

http://graphs.headphone.com/index.php?graphID%5B0%5D=533&graphID%5B1%5D=2941&graphID%5B2%5D=&graphID%5B3%5D=&scale=30&graphType=0&buttonSelection=Update+Graph

https://www.innerfidelity.com/images/AudioTechnicaATHM50.pdf
https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/audio-technica-ath-m50

Reply #23
Lower impedance gives you more power/loudness at a given voltage.
It gives you more loudness if sensitivity dB/mW is the same.