Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: [POINTLESS] best output component (Read 1594 times) previous topic - next topic

[POINTLESS] best output component

hi

I'm trying to find out what output has the best audio quality for'my computer.
I have a simple intergrated sound chip on my motherboard. It is using realtek hd audio driver in windows.

I see directsound is standard in foobar but there are asio and wasapi components.

- How to find out if my sound chip supports asio or wasapi? How can I see this in foobar?

- Which has the best sound quality: asio or wasapi?

- is it correct directsound has the lowest audio quality?

thx
Foobar2000 - It Really Whips ALL Llamas' Ass!

Re: best output component

Reply #1
- is it correct directsound has the lowest audio quality?
Not necessarily.  If you are listening via speakers and/or headphones plugged into the analog output of your soundcard, then it makes no real difference.  If you are sending a digital signal from your soundcard to an external processor, then ASIO or WASAPI might be preferred for their ability to send a "bit-perfect" stream.  Again, however, any differences are likely not audible.

You can test this yourself by switching between DS and WASAPI in foobar2000: File > Preferences > Playback > Output > Device.

If your soundcard supports ASIO: https://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_out_asio