Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Players not reading metadata from WAV ripping. (Read 4549 times) previous topic - next topic

Players not reading metadata from WAV ripping.

Hi, I'm currently ripping my CD collection to my PC in WAV format using Media Monkey 3.  MM will then display all the file ID3 information: artist, title, year etc.  But when I open, say, Foorbar for instance, none of this metadata is found or showing, yet I can see it ok in MM.  Only the song's filename and source folder name can be seen while using Foobar or other players.  I'm just wondering why this is.  I thought ID3 metadata when copied is able to be viewed universally by any player.  Is anyone able to help me solve this mystery and fix the problem?  Much appreciated.  Cheers.

Reply #1
ID3 is a MP3 standard.

Not a WAV standard, in fact it is perfectly possible to write any kind of tagging in WAV but due to a lack of standards in practice you better act if tagging WAV don't work.

Choose another format like FLAC or use CUE-sheets but don't rely on WAV tags.
More details: http://thewelltemperedcomputer.com/KB/WAV_KB.htm
TheWellTemperedComputer.com

Reply #2
Yep, there is no universal 'de facto' standard for WAV tagging... and many applications don't bother tagging the files at all, and only keep the metadata in the application's database.

As the previous poster stated, WAV is not a good solution for interoperability.  It's also a huge waste of disk space to use an uncompressed format.  Use a more suitable format.

Reply #3
Guys, thank you so much for that help.  I've followed the link and did further research across the web.  I'm now going to re-record everything across in FLAC.  That should solve the issue.  The files sizes with this are less too.  Thanks heaps guys.  Cheers.

Reply #4
I'm now going to re-record everything across in FLAC.

Removing the existing tags in Media Monkey and then converting the wav files for example with foobar2000 may be faster.

Also you might consider to use WavPack which is my favorite lossless format.
This is HA. Not the Jerry Springer Show.

Reply #5
The best thing you could do is use DB Poweramp and chose Flac for the encoder. I say use DB poweramp because it's very user friendly and super easy to configure. DB will check your tracks against the Accurate Rip database, to do this it needs to configure the Read offset of your burner. If you know anything about the wheel alignment of a car, it's a good analogy. Think of the offset like the toe setting. On an absolute value scale, you have 5,4,3,2,1,0,1,2,3,4,5  The numbers to the right of 0 are negative (obviously). Mostly all burners have a significant read/write offset. Once you insert a CD, DB will check it and configure your read offset for you. Setting the write offset is different, you'll need to burn a test CD and then check the read offset again (which you should know at this time) These 2 numbers added together will tell you the write offset. As long as you understand that 20 + (-30) = (-10) you should be fine. Again, it's very similar the Toe setting of a vehicle.

DB Poweramp is the easiest to set-up, in this users opinion. If you feel comfortable enough you should really use EAC (Exact Audio Copy). It's not as refined or user friendly as DB Poweramp, but it's the defacto standard in CD ripping. You will again have to configure your burners for Accurate rip but it's a one time deal. The read offset is the main thing, the write offset is pretty advanced and most folks never fool with it.

There's a ton of tutorials around here for EAC. The main things are using Accurate Rip in secure mode, and setting the command line for EAC. Your tracks will be tagged and titled just like you want them, with a Cue sheet that can be used later to replicate the gaps between tracks to match the source CD. I've used both, I say try DB Poweramp and once you get the hang of it, switch to EAC.