Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Why should I convert stereo to 5.1? (Read 6707 times) previous topic - next topic

Why should I convert stereo to 5.1?

When i play stereo files on my home theatre the sound comes from all the speakers and it sounds well.
I converted stereo 2 surround, and again they sounded similar...what the difference?

Reply #1
2 to 5.1, its still sounds like 2, coz you have only have 2 channel source

its like converting a mono wave to 2 channel wave, its still mono coz both channels produce exactly the same sound

hope u understand what i mean coz i donno how to explain.....guess u have to wait some pros here to explain

Reply #2
I'm actually not a pro...but I wonder - was it a surround source or just simple stereo you're converting?

I'm argueing with my flatmate quite a long time about the topic if you loose your surround sound when compressing sound files in ... for example mp3.

Check HowStuffWorks for a simple explanation about surround and 5.1. Cause: analog surround sound is encoded in stereo and you can even get the surround sound with a stereo amp by using an extra set of speakers.

But yea I'm quite interested as well what the pro's will say!

JD

Reply #3
It really depends on what you used to do the stereo to surroun upmix. If you just mirrored the front chnnels on the back channels and put a low passed version on the lfe channel then it will sound just like the stereo. There are, however, fancy algorithms that perform the needed jiggery pokery to make the stereo sound like you were listening to it in a concert hall (or a portable toilet, whatever). This involves putting a delay and a little reverb on the rear channels and attenuating some frequencies.  Some of these algorithms can sound really good and work well for stereo movie soundtracks but whether you want them to mangle your music is a matter of taste.

IIRC, many so called "surround" formats only use stereo then real-time upmix during playback.

If you are just mirroring, then you will want to attenuate the rear channels a bit for music, to keep the soundstage forward and out of your head.

Reply #4
I used th ambiophonics method using the plouge bidule. I made a DTS cd with surcode CD DTS pro.