Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: AltGr+A problem... (Read 917 times) previous topic - next topic

AltGr+A problem...

Hi,
Well... I feel seriously stupid asking this question here, but... I encountered that suddenly, when editing metadata or entering search phrase AltGr+A in my foobar works the same way as Ctrl+A.
I am on Polish version of Windows 10 1607, x64 and run there foobar2000 version 1.3.16. Nothing has changed (like foo plugins) in my installation since few months... Nor in configuration. In Polish OS AltGr+A should produce ą character (or Ą when used with Shift). But it stopped working just in foobar... It works everywhere else just fine (like here in Firefox, in Notepad or Word or anywhere else). No matter if I press just AltGr+A, Shift+AltGr+A, or for example Ctrl+AltGr+A or simply Ctrl+A I get the same result - whole edited text is marked. To emphasize this again - it happens only in foobar. And I am not sure since when, as I am not typing ą/Ą to frequently in the player... Any suggestion how to troubleshoot this? I feel embarrassed :( . Google tells me about very general problems (like in all apps) or suggests me to check some system things that turn out to be rather properly set...
Ah - one more thing. It happens both on physical keyboard and on Windows 10 built-in software on-screen keyboard...

Re: AltGr+A problem...

Reply #1
Guys, I did more investigation and I've found that even if I boot to Windows 7 (Polish, x64, foobar also in version 1.3.16) and even if I get back to my oldest autobackup (2017-09-10) the problem persists.... Even if I rename foobar's cfg folder and start it (foobar then creates basic cfg), problem with AltGr+A acting as CTRL+A still persist... Is it possible that it was never possible to write ą/Ą in foobar? I don't think so...

Reply #2
I did another test. Fortunately on my HDD I keep many different installers of foobar2000. What I did was first uninstalling foobar, then trying clean install of newest one, then when nothing has changed I started installing several foobar versions one by one (updating, starting from v 1.2) and checking what happens. Now I can report with 100% certainty, that problem with "AltGr+A" acting like "Ctrl+A" (AltGr+A marks whole text in edited field, instead of typing character "ą") started exactly in version 1.3.11. All versions prior to 1.3.11 (including exactly 1.3.10) allow to write down "ą" character in properties and don't mark the text when using AltGr+A.

Please treat it as an official bug report.
OS used for tests:
Windows 7 x64 PL MSDNAA + all critical updates from WU (so nothing like .NET 4.7 - only security fixes).
Foobar was each time installed in Standard mode, with no additional plugins and with no customizations applied (just hit "Enter" when foobar runs for the first time and asks for UI style).

Problem was first time detected in f 1.3.16 running on Windows 10 x64 PL 1607 with NO Windows Updates applied at all.

Both systems use keyboard layout "Polish (Programmers)" with no other layout installed ("Polish -214" is always intentionally deleted in my setups), with deleted keyboard shortcuts for switching between languages and disabled Language Bar.

If any more details is needed - please let me know.

Reply #3
Confirmed, not sure how the heck I missed it. Thanks for reporting.

Fix tomorrow.
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.

Reply #4
Thank you kindly :)

Reply #5
1.3.17 beta 1 posted.

AltGr is being presented to us as Ctrl+Alt, which was mistriggering Ctrl+A "select all" handler for relevant keystrokes on various editboxes.

Please check if there are any instances of this glitch that I missed. So far the Properties dialog looks good.
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.

Reply #6
Hi,
Well - accordingly to my testing everything should be fine - I haven't found any field / place / dialog where I couldn't use "ą". If by any chance I would once find some in future - I will report it here. Once again thank you for quick reaction :)