Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Sony to Buy Gracenote (CDDB) (Read 6548 times) previous topic - next topic

Sony to Buy Gracenote (CDDB)

Reply #1
It never ceases to amaze me how these 'telephone books' of Audio CDs can be worth so much, lets say there are 1 Million CD releases, $280 Million = $280 per CD entry...

Here is the link:

http://www.thestandard.com/news/2008/04/22...ic-data-company

Sony really loves to have closed proprietary. Yet another reason for me not to use Gracenote.
"I never thought I'd see this much candy in one mission!"

Reply #2
They claim to have 6 million CD's listed.

I'm also wondering why Sony pays so much for something they could just get access to by taking a license from them. The technology is standardised as MPEG-7, so there's also not so much to gain.
For now they claim Gracenote will keep running in the same way as before, so what does Sony gain? (it can't be that profitable, can it?)

Reply #3
I've read that part of the deal contains technology for recognizing music played on mobiles. Apparently Sony thinks this technique has a great future.

Reply #4
I've read that part of the deal contains technology for recognizing music played on mobiles. Apparently Sony thinks this technique has a great future.

No doubt to identify and collect money from people recording audio/video from the mobile device.

Reply #5

Shazam has been doing this for years and has made no money. What was Sony thinking?

Reply #6
Maybe they want to know who is accessing info on Sony released CDs so they can sue
Error 404; signature server not available.

Reply #7
Maybe they want to know who is accessing info on Sony released CDs so they can sue
If age or weaknes doe prohibyte bloudletting you must use boxing

Reply #9
Or maybe they just want to own a media database and make money from it? AMG's currently offers the most complete solution in that regard, and it seems to be working well for them.
EAC>1)fb2k>LAME3.99 -V 0 --vbr-new>WMP12 2)MAC-Extra High

Reply #10
It never ceases to amaze me how these 'telephone books' of Audio CDs can be worth so much...

According to the Register, Gracenote is "worth about $40m a year".  That $260 divided by $40 is only 6 and a half.

The Register also speculates that the database might in future be used for "logg[ing] so the creators can get their dues".

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/04/24/sony_gracenote/

I'm not sure the Register's a very reliable source of information, but I've seen very little else on the Net where either the worth or possible future uses are touched on.

EDIT

Forbes also quotes a figure of $40 million in revenues per annum and adds:

separate from its revenue bookings which could be much larger.

http://www.forbes.com/technology/2008/04/2...aidcontent.html