Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.

Poll

AAC encoders

Apple (iTunes, QAAC)
[ 49 ] (41.5%)
Coding Technologies/Dolby (CT)
[ 0 ] (0%)
FAAC
[ 1 ] (0.8%)
ffmpeg native AAC encoder
[ 0 ] (0%)
Fraunhofer FDK
[ 13 ] (11%)
Fraunhofer Winamp encoder
[ 13 ] (11%)
Nero
[ 4 ] (3.4%)
vo-aacenc (VisualOn)
[ 0 ] (0%)
Anoter one (please specify which one)
[ 2 ] (1.7%)
I don't encode my libraries to AAC
[ 36 ] (30.5%)

Total Members Voted: 114

Topic: Which AAC/MP3/Vorbis encoders do You prefer for your librarires? (Read 7391 times) previous topic - next topic

Which AAC/MP3/Vorbis encoders do You prefer for your librarires?

Hello Everybody.

This poll will help to recolect some information as popularity of certain encoders.
Feel free to post which encoder(s) You use as well as which version, setting etc.

There are no Opus neither Musepack because these formats have mainly one single (official) encoder.

Thank You.

Reply #1
AAC: "Fraunhofer Winamp encoder". I switched from "Apple (iTunes, QAAC)" because it's almost the same quality, faster, smaller package for portable, less stuff to update. I only use lossy for my wife's car (--vbr 96).

MP3: "I don't encode my libraries to MP3" but I would use LAME if I had to.

Ogg Vorbis: "I don't encode my libraries to Ogg Vorbis" but I would use aoTuV if I had to.

Reply #2
LAME for me, usually -V 0, purely because I have the room  Main library is FLAC though, only use MP3 for portable use and in the car.

Reply #3
Why is Lancer and aoTuV separated? I mean I'm using a Lancer build which is based on the aoTuV code so i checked both. But is there any difference quality wise between the original aoTuV and Lancer encoders?

Reply #4
I use Apple AAC encoder (qaac with foobar2000) for my lossy encodings (most of my music library is lossy to save space and I can not ABX AAC at anything higher then 96kbs). I use TVBR 108 so I could have high quality source when I need to transcode files for my phone where I use TVBR 63 with few DSPs.

Before I started using AAC I used to encode with LAME -V 4, which is also transparent to me.

I don´t use Vorbis as not any of my devices supports it. Probably I won´t use OPUS for same reason.

Reply #5
Nothing has changed in years for me, Apple AAC (TVBR) for all (mobile and HiFi) listening, FLAC only for archival on a backup drive.
Every night with my star friends / We eat caviar and drink champagne
Sniffing in the VIP area / We talk about Frank Sinatra
Do you know Frank Sinatra? / He's dead

Reply #6
AAC: "I don't encode my libraries to AAC" - I find Vorbis to be essentially equal to AAC or close enough to not care, and Vorbis has none of the AAC proprietary hassles.

MP3: "LAME" - I rarely encode to mp3 as I tend to buy my gear based on it's support of FLAC and Vorbis. The only device I own which doesn't support Vorbis is my car stereo, and thanks to Bluetooth that doesn't matter since my phone does support it.

Vorbis: "libVorbis (official)" - The official libVorbis includes some of the aoTuV tunings, and it's honestly good enough for me to not bother with the hassle of bypassing the reference versions in my distro repos. I'll reap the goodness from Aoyumi as it's adopted into the reference.

Reply #7
AAC = shit-tier
MP3 = Lame or GTFO... unless, well, you know, like Helix and crap.
Vorbis = libvorbis if I'm lazy, aoTuV if I'm not.

Reply #8
My music library is mainly encoded with Vorbis (AoTuV). I only use MP3 (Lame) if I need widest compatibility. However, I use AAC (fdk-aac via ffmpeg) for sound in video encoding.

Reply #9
Why is Lancer and aoTuV separated? I mean I'm using a Lancer build which is based on the aoTuV code so i checked both. But is there any difference quality wise between the original aoTuV and Lancer encoders?

While Lancer is based on aoTuV  it's still different encoder. Different code. But I agree, there should not be audible differences that a human can perceive.

P.S. It doesn't make a big difference in this poll anyway. And it still brings some additional information.

Reply #10
AAC - QAAC (iTunes), usually CVBR from 96kbps upwards, as TVBR has tested fractionally poorer and might not be quite so well tuned. Use mp4box to replace the audio on some live show .mp4 videos with soundboard captures encoded using QAAC and transcode the original video to CQ (VBR) in Handbrake. These small files play much like YouTube videos from within Google Drive preview yet sound great and also play on almost any MP4 player.

MP3 - LAME nearly always, as it supports gapless and is highly versatile for state-of-the-art quality at most bitrates. Have used Helix VBR for one device with no gapless support at ~130kbps and been very happy with quality and encoding speed too, but recently stopped using it. Easy to share MP3 files with anyone on any device.

Vorbis - Use Lancer build of AoTuV but answered Lancer. Supported in Wikimedia Commons and natively on my Android Nexus 5, my wife's Galaxy S3 mini and my very old Android 2.1 phone too where it's a toss-up with AAC. For low bitrates, Vorbis resampled to 32kHz often wins thanks to mixed HE-AAC support and my dislike of HE-AAC artifacts at such low rates.
Dynamic – the artist formerly known as DickD

Reply #11
Let's see.

MP3. 62 of 65 (that's 95%) of people who voted for some MP3 encoder use LAME. 

AAC. Apple is the most popular AAC encoder. Fraunhofer encoders are second by popularity.  Another encoders have insignificant share.

Vorbis. AoTuv is the most used.

Reply #12
For MP3:  GOGO @ 160kbps CBR (-b 160) . Very fast, relatively small size, good quality, Compatible with everything.