Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: MP3 / M4A Year tag vs Copyright tag (Read 946 times) previous topic - next topic

MP3 / M4A Year tag vs Copyright tag

I know it sounds an obvious question, but what exactly is the Year tag intended for?

For example, I have an album (released in 2012) where all tracks were released and copyrighted 2012 except for one song. This song has been updated and was originally released in 2011. Should this track have 2012 or 2011 for year? I presume the Copyright tag should contain 2011 for this track and 2011 for all others?

What is the usual way of dealing with these (I have a lot more)

Thanks

Re: MP3 / M4A Year tag vs Copyright tag

Reply #1
The last but one line should read:

I presume the Copyright tag should contain 2011 for this track and 2012 for all others?

Re: MP3 / M4A Year tag vs Copyright tag

Reply #2
The online databases usually (always?) use the year of the CD (or MP3) release.   I believe that's the "legal" copyright date.

For compilation or greatest hits albums, or for music that was originally released on vinyl, I manually change it to the original release date.     That way I can sort by year in a way that "makes sense" or if I'm just curious I can quickly check.  And, I have iTunes Smart Playlists of "rock & popular" from the early 60s, etc.

Sometimes the original release dates are in the liner notes and sometimes you have to research, and in a few cases I couldn't find it and I've left the  year blank.   It was a "big project" when I first decided to do this, but it's not too bad keeping-up as I add to my music library.

If there is a "previously unreleased" song from an older (or dead) artist I'll try to find the year of the recording.   ...I don't want to see 2012 on an Elvis or Beatles recording.