Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Tool for organizing music collection (Read 2403 times) previous topic - next topic

Tool for organizing music collection

Hi,

my goal is to re-organize my music collection with this structure: "%artist%\[%year%] - %album%\%tracknumber%_%title%" (regular albums).
Atm, I have a flat structure with one folder per album (%artist% - %album% [%year%]).
Since my collection is tagged properly, this wouldn't be a problem for the renaming function of "mp3tag".

The challenge is that there are additional files in each of the source folders (cover.jpg, checksum file, playlist and a zip file containing album art) which I'd like to move to the new album folder as well.

I haven't found a way to do this with mp3tag or fb2k.
Maybe dbPoweramp?

Please let me know if you have any idea...

.sundance.

Reply #1
Since my collection is tagged properly, this wouldn't be a problem for the renaming function of "mp3tag".

The challenge is that there are additional files in each of the source folders (cover.jpg, checksum file, playlist and a zip file containing album art) which I'd like to move to the new album folder as well.

Mediamonkey will do all of this. Rename/repath based on tags and move the additional files from the source folders.

Reply #3
Mediamonkey will do all of this. Rename/repath based on tags and move the additional files from the source folders.

I took a quick glance at MM already today but while there a rename/move parameters based on tags, I didn't see a way to implement simple functions like fb2k or mp3tag offers. I've to admit I've simplified my new structure a bit... There are some "ifs" and conditionals [] to decide whether it's a regular album vs. various artists, or to handle other issues like missing/unknown year.
Maybe I didn't try hard enough... Can MM still do it?

@marc2003:
Now that looks promising!
I'll give it a shot... Thanks a lot!

[edit]
Works like a charm!
You made my day...
(shame on me: I haven't used the file operation component for quite a while - what a big surprise...)

Reply #4
I haven't found a way to do this with mp3tag or fb2k.
It's straightforward in mp3tag when you know one trick: if you use a format value of _DIRECTORY then everything in the directory moves with the audio file into the new directory.

More here...
http://forums.mp3tag.de/index.php?showtopic=17655

I now have the whole lot (various tag fixing, folder moving, and file renaming) as a one click action in mp3tag.

I guess whether mp3tag or fb2k works better for you will also depend on how well you can script/format in each.

Cheers,
David.

Reply #5

I took a quick glance at MM already today but while there a rename/move parameters based on tags, I didn't see a way to implement simple functions like fb2k or mp3tag offers. I've to admit I've simplified my new structure a bit... There are some "ifs" and conditionals [] to decide whether it's a regular album vs. various artists, or to handle other issues like missing/unknown year.
Maybe I didn't try hard enough... Can MM still do it?

Yes, "if"s are quite easy in MM:
http://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index.php/..._Masks_Examples