Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Hard Disk recorder: does this exist? (Read 4261 times) previous topic - next topic

Hard Disk recorder: does this exist?

I'm looking for a portable, stand-alone, battery powered unit that can record digital audio onto hard disk.

Imagine I have a removable hard disk drive which I slot into this portable device. The HDD is formatted and empty. When I push a button on the device (record), it takes whatever digital audio data is coming in, and dumps it to the HDD as a .wav file. It continues to stream the digital audio data to the HDD until I press another button (stop).

Clearly I could do this using a laptop PC with a decent USB soundcard. However, it seems like complete overkill. Is there a device (or is it even possible) that can control a HDD using a simple microprocessor (maybe aided by a HDD controler chip - I don't know!), and record digital audio directly to a .wav file.

When I get back home, I simply remove the HDD, slam it into my main PC, and load the .wav file(s) into Cool Edit.

Any ideas? Does it exist? Could it exist? Why is this a really difficult thing to do?

Thanks,
David.

Reply #1
Well, it's not exactly what are you looking for but Nomad Jukebox (I/II/III) and Archos Jukebox are able to record, then you go to your PC and 'download' the saved tracks via USB. However, NJB recording quality is crap, I don't know about Archos.

Reply #2
such things are used in hq studios. they are big and cost a lot.
maybe a palmtop + an external soundcard  + a hd would do, but hd's have to use some watts to get that 5400 or 7200 rpm........

Reply #3
Some pro hdd based recorders are this and this  (expensive both).

Reply #4
Amp's right, there are some units, but the good ones are pro and expensive.  Most pros would usually use DAT or Minidisc if they needed something small, or ADAT if they want to haul around a large box.  Only recenly has more affordable hard disc based portables that record shown up, I beleive marantz makes one.  However there have been hard disc based rack recorders for quite some time, almost every pro manufacturer has one.

Reply #5
i think he's looking for a more stealthy device.. think Sony PCM-M1 DAT, only with a hdd instead of DAT..

at least that's what I would start drooling over
A riddle is a short sword attached to the next 2000 years.

Reply #6
Alesis now has ADAT machines out that record to hard disk.  The machine has two removable hard disk slots.
"You can fight without ever winning, but never win without a fight."  Neil Peart  'Resist'

Reply #7
i think he's looking for a more stealthy device.. think Sony PCM-M1 DAT, only with a hdd instead of DAT.. 

Exactly!