Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Laser Disc Conversion? (Read 4916 times) previous topic - next topic

Laser Disc Conversion?

I have a collection of about 120 laser discs.  Although I still own two laser disc players, I was wondering if I might be able to copy them and burn them to standard DVD format so that I wouldn't have to keep the players.  What would be needed to do this with maximum quality and minimal expense?  I think I'd probably need a video card with an S-Video input for video capture, but I really don't know all that would be involved.  If you can describe the process, including what software I would need, that would be great!  Thanks.

Laser Disc Conversion?

Reply #1
The faster way is to connect a DVD-recorder to your LD player.

If you wanna digitize (LD is analog) the movie by a PC you should get a capture card or you can also use your camcorder (if you have and it has AV in) with a firewire port.

The other method in mp.
Hybrid Multimedia Production Suite will be a platform-indipendent open source suite for advanced audio/video contents production.
Official git: https://www.forart.it/HyMPS/

Laser Disc Conversion?

Reply #2
There are 2 steps, which may require different software:

1. Audio/Video Capture (digitizing & recording)
2. DVD Authoring

As forart.eu suggested, if you have a DV camcorder with "passthrough" and a Firewire connection, that's one of the BEST capture methods.  It will give you high quality AVI/DV video and high quality LPCM audio.  (The video will need to be convered to MPEG-2.  The audio can be left as LPCM or converted to AC3...  Your DVD authoring program can usually take care of the conversions.)

A set-top DVD recorder would be the EASIEST way to do it, but your ability to make menus & chapters is limited.  (Although, you can read the DVD into your DVD authoring software and re-author & re-burn the DVD.)

Video capture cards/devices run from super cheap (I've seem them from less than $10 USD) to very expensive.    The cheap USB capture devices seem to cause a lot of people trouble, and you will have a limited choice of audio/video formats.   

For example, I have a mid-price Hauppauge capture card and it works great but it captures to MPEG-2 audio & video.  MPEG-2 video is the video format required for DVD, but MPEG-2 audio is only valid for PAL DVDs.  To make a NTSC DVD (the North American standard) I have to convert the audio to AC3 or LPCM. 

You can simply burn audio/video files onto a DVD, but if you want to make a "Video-DVD" that plays on all* standard DVD players, you need DVD-Authoring software.  This will create the normal VIDEO_TS folder with VOB files, etc., and will allow you to create a menu.  If you buy a video capture card/device it will come with capture software and it may come with DVD authoring software, or you may need to get a separate program for that.

Some helpful websites:
DigitalFAQ.com[/color]
VideoHelp.com[/color]
List of DVD Authoring Programs (Wikipedia)[/color]
ATI [/color] (Video capture products)
Pinnacle[/color] (Video capture products)
Hauppauge[/color] (Video capture products)

* Some DVD players have trouble with homemade "burned" DVDs.