Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Ogg vs AAC listening samples (Read 9076 times) previous topic - next topic

Ogg vs AAC listening samples

Relates to post: http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....ndpost&p=295427

Samples:

1) Low bitrate test, filesize 307 Kb. Sample: Bruce Hornsby - Madman across the water

flac sample: 18 secs [attachment=1505:attachment]
AAC sample: Nero AAC encoder preset internet high, 130 kbps, 307 Kb [attachment=1503:attachment]
Ogg sample: OggdropXPd q-4, 135 kbps, 306 Kb [attachment=1504:attachment]

Here the ogg encoder at q-4 matches the Nero filesize with a higher bitrate (135 to 130), and in this complex track ogg brings cymbals closer to the original version, and piano sound less coloured to me than AAC.

2) High birate test, filesize 169 Kb. Sample: Mozart - Violin Concerto N.2 in D, K211, Andante

flac sample: 7 secs violin solo [attachment=1506:attachment]
AAC sample: Nero AAC encoder preset normal high, 170 kbps, 169 Kb [attachment=1507:attachment]
Ogg sample: OggdropXPd q-5.28 Lowpass at 17.5 Khz, 172 kbps, 169 Kb [attachment=1509:attachment]

I seem to distinguish better the harmonics and vibrato of the violin strings here in the AAC track than in the ogg version, which is more reliable to the original.

3) Low bitrate test, filesize 179 Kb. Sample: Madonna - Erotica (Great. Hits Vol.2)

flac sample: 11 secs pop track [attachment=1512:attachment]
AAC sample: Nero AAC encoder preset internet high, 119 kbps, 179 Kb [attachment=1514:attachment]
Ogg sample: OggdropXPd q-3.70, 127 kbps [attachment=1513:attachment]

I had to reduce quality in ogg to 3.70 to match the filesize of ACC internet, both high and fast, and bitrate in ogg was always higher: 127 to 119. Here sound is easily clearer to me in ogg, most noticeable in high frequencies.