Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Advice on Encoding High Quality Youtube Music Videos (Read 6508 times) previous topic - next topic

Advice on Encoding High Quality Youtube Music Videos

Hey everyone,
I'm new here, but not to the audio world. What I'm looking to do, is to create a High Quality online music archive using Youtube, of some of my CDs. What I mean when I say high quality, is for these videos to be rendered in the clients browser as the original lossless FLAC files. The videos I'm making consist solely of an image (album cover) and the audio that corresponds with it. The tracks themselves are sourced from CDs, ripped into WAV format (by EAC) and later converted into FLACs. My question is: When making the video, how should I encode it (AVI, MOV, MPEG....) as well as the audio (PCM Uncompressed?) Any advice is welcome.
Thanks,
Kogami

Reply #1
I'm pretty sure YouTube is going to re-encode you upload to whatever format(s) they use.  So, you should probably just upload the highest-quality, least compressed format you have (if the website will accept it and if you don't mind the extra upload time).

I'm new here, but not to the audio world. What I'm looking to do, is to create a High Quality online music archive using Youtube, of some of my CDs.
  If "my CDs" are CDs of yourself or your band and you own the copyright that's fine.  If they are regular copyrighted CDs that you purchased, you are not allowed to publish or re-distribute the music and YouTube will either reject your upload or remove it  when  they figure-out you don't have the right to upload  the music.

Reply #2
Some time ago I uploaded some MKV[H.264(4:4:4)+WavPack] which Youtube accepted with any problems.

...for these videos to be rendered in the clients browser as the original lossless FLAC files.
Impossible, because Youtube will always convert input to MP4/FLV[H.264+AAC] and Webm[VP8+Vorbis].

Reply #3
If "my CDs" are CDs of yourself or your band and you own the copyright that's fine.  If they are regular copyrighted CDs that you purchased, you are not allowed to publish or re-distribute the music and YouTube will either reject your upload or remove it  when  they figure-out you don't have the right to upload  the music.

Uploading music to Youtube and stating the owner of the copyright is perfectly acceptable and is protected under Fair Use.

Reply #4

Uploading music to Youtube and stating the owner of the copyright is perfectly acceptable and is protected under Fair Use.
Nonsense...  Stating the copyright owner does not give you the right to violate the owner's copyright and re-publish the work.    And, "entertainment" is NOT a fair use exception.