Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: %artist% evaluates to "Various Artists" for some compilations, not others (Read 1706 times) previous topic - next topic

%artist% evaluates to "Various Artists" for some compilations, not others

I have a set of CDs rips, each with a CUE file created by EAC (various versions). When I use cuetools to encode them, the value of %artist% in the output template evaluates differently.
(f:\comp-mp3\%artist%\[%year% - ]%album%\%artist% - %album%.cue)

- for most, it is "Unknown Artist"
- for a few (2 or 3 ), it is "Various Artists"

As a result they are split across two folders. Not critical, but annoying as i would like it to be consistent.

I turned off caching of meta-data  (Cache metadata = False) and now the 'Various Artist' encodes have %artist% evaluating to like the others. I assume that the entry is my cache is wrong for them,

- How can i see what the cache entry is
- How can I clear the entry so I can turn caching on again
- How can I see the metadata lookup?
- How can I get it to evaluate to "Various Artists"?

This is with 2.16 and 2.20.
Thanks
dpr

Re: %artist% evaluates to "Various Artists" for some compilations, not others

Reply #1
How can i see what the cache entry is
How can I clear the entry so I can turn caching on again
Input: Folder browser
http://cue.tools/wiki/CUETools_Settings#Local_database

How can I see the metadata lookup?
Batch mode suppresses pop-up windows so if you're processing more than one rip at a time you won't see what metadata CUETools has available to use. Batch mode uses this order

If you have the TOCID in the EAC log you can see what metadata is available to CUETools in the CTDB. The CTDB entries will not include what is available via tags, CUE file or local database.

How can I get it to evaluate to "Various Artists"?
CUETools follows this recommended tag standard.
https://wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?title=Foobar2000:Encouraged_Tag_Standards#ALBUM_ARTIST
ALBUMARTIST is used when track artists don't match. If all track artists are the same then it uses the track artist.

see also https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php?topic=121595.0
korth

Reply #2
All 31 CDs are compilations by multiple artists, and %artist% = "Unknown Artist", "Various Artists"
Are you saying my output template should use %albumartist% instead?
Thanks
dpr

Reply #3
I really don't have enough info about the source files being used and what method you're using to input them into CUETools.
I'm just providing general information that may cover multiple scenarios. Some of the information may be relevant to what you're trying to do, some may not.
%albumartist% cannot be evaluated from a CUE file.
korth

Reply #4
For CDs where there are multiple artists, EAC creates a .cue file with the performer set to be "Various Artists" see below:

REM DISCID FC10F312
REM COMMENT "ExactAudioCopy v1.6"
PERFORMER "Various Artists"
TITLE "KBCO Studio C, Volume 32"

So %artist% has a value of "Various Artists" and so %albumartist% isn't used
It seems like PERFORMER should always be set in the cue file to have a value..

When I encode this to MP3, albumartist is set to "Various Artists", so there must be some thing setting this. Is this documented anywhere?

Reply #5
The PERFORMER command above the first Track command yes.

When writing file tags
If no PERFORMER commands exist below the first Track command then all tracks have the artist value equal to the PERFORMER command above the first Track command and no albumartist value.

If PERFORMER commands exist below the first Track command and all have equal value to the PERFORMER command above the first Track command then all tracks have the same artist value and no albumartist value.

If PERFORMER commands exist below the first Track command and all are not equal to the value of the PERFORMER command above the first Track command and all PERFORMER commands after the first Track command have equal values to each other then all tracks have the artist value specified by the PERFORMER command that immediately follows the Track command and no albumartist value.

If PERFORMER commands exist below the first Track command and not all are equal to the value of the PERFORMER command above the first Track command and not all are equal to each other then all tracks have the artist value specified by the PERFORMER command that immediately follows the Track command and the albumartist value is equal to the PERFORMER command above the first Track command.

korth

Reply #6
Thank you!
Is there a way to see the values of the variables?

Reply #7
Limited. More specific please.
Tags, Output template ... ?

For example: Right now you cannot edit the track artist values in CUETools or even see what the values are.

Note: I omitted something in Reply#5 that I've edited to correct.
korth

Reply #8
The variables used in the output template

Reply #9
How the output template is evaluated is shown in the Output textbox. To test the template on a single rip for Action: Encode
Input a single rip. Make sure the "edit tags" box is ticked. Click GO.
The "Select the best match" metadata selection/edit window should pop up.
X out of the window (top right) instead of clicking OK.
Check the Output textbox
korth

Reply #10
thanks, I’ll get it try