Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: EAC hangs on a particular CD (Read 2445 times) previous topic - next topic

EAC hangs on a particular CD

I love EAC. I've ripped scads of CDs to back up my collection. Certain websites give me a 100% log score.
Occasionally EAC will have trouble ripping a CD. In the past, I've always been able to circumvent the problem by ripping it on another computer.
Two days ago I tried ripping a brand-new, pristine commercial CD (Decca Classics label). I detected gaps, created a cue sheet, and then the rip hung at track 32 of 34. I rebooted, tried again, same result. (I've successfully ripped other CDs before and since.)
I tried ripping it on my backup computer, which has pretty much always managed to come through. This time EAC hung while detecting gaps.
Today I took it to a third computer that I've used successfully on occasion. It took forever to detect gaps, but completed. I created a cue sheet. But it's been stuck ripping track 28 for several hours.
Any suggestions? The CD plays fine.
Thanks so much for reading this and any advice you may have!

Re: EAC hangs on a particular CD

Reply #2
Thanks for the suggestion. I was hoping to produce a 100%-log copy.

Reply #3
If it verifies AccurateRip, you will be fine - that you ocan also check with CUETools. And, once you have downloaded that, you could of course try if that ripper has more success.

Reply #4
…  I was hoping to produce a 100%-log copy.
That's probably not going to happen...  Cue Tools can sometimes make a repair but if ripping freezes, probably not.

I assume the CD plays OK?  If not you can legitimately return it.

If it plays OK, you can make an analog copy of the one-bad track.   (I assume tracks 33 & 34 are OK when ripped separately?)     Audiograbber has analog ripping built-in, but it's been years since I've used it.   A couple of times, I've bought the MP3 when I couldn't rip the CD.  Or, you could look for a used CD.

...I never "feel good" when I can't make a perfect copy but if it sounds OK, after awhile I can't even remember which files are imperfect...

Reply #5
DVDDoug wins the prize.
The CD was defective. Replacement CD rips fine.
Thanks to all for their invaluable input.
And to the community.
Happy holidays!