Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Is WMA the only Free Multichannel Lossless Codec? (Read 5136 times) previous topic - next topic

Is WMA the only Free Multichannel Lossless Codec?

Anyone know of any others?

Thanks,
Mike

Reply #1
FLAC

Reply #2
Thanks.

Reply #3
Well, I seem to be having a problem with encoding multichannel wavs in flac, the file that I am trying to encode is a 48khz 16 bit 5.1 wav.  I use this commandline in flac: flac -8 --channels=6 "input.wav" "output.flac" it gives an error and will not open the file to encode, it says, "ERROR: unsupported compression type 65534" I really really don't want to use wma for this so I hope someone will be able to help me.  Basically, the reason why I am doing this is because I am going to create a listening test of about 60 different samples comparing DTS and DD at their respective bitrates for a dvd, 448kbps and 768kbps.  I am going to use surcode and soft encode to make the DTS and DD.  The originals need to be in flac and everything else is going to be in flac once it is encoded to the appropiate format and then decoded back to wav.  Hope someone will help,

Reply #4
I think that your multichannel wavs are wave_format_extensible format which is not supported by FLAC.
If you can play with WindowsMediaPlayer, it is wave_format_extensible format file certainly.

winamp diskwriter can convert your wavs to the format supported by FLAC.

Reply #5
Ah, that makes sense, thanks a lot it works now,

Reply #6
I tried 96k/24bit with FLAC and couldn't get the waves to load. Does FLAC support high resolution 5.1 like that, or is WMA lossless the only one?

Thanks,
Mike

Reply #7
FLAC (flac.exe) supports 24bit-96KHz-5.1ch.

Reply #8
Thanks Witt.

I'll give it another try.