Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Doubts about the DVD-A content and consequent ripp choices (Read 1165 times) previous topic - next topic

Doubts about the DVD-A content and consequent ripp choices

Doubts about the DVD-A infos and consequent ripp choices

Hello to all,
I have a doubt about the ripp of audio DVDs and the related infos on MusicBrainz.

I take as an example the DVD-A "Discipline", King Crimson, 40th Annyversary Series, KCSP8.
If I consult MusicBrainz (my usual reference), I find the exact release here.
The release is composed by a standard CD and a DVD audio.
The CD ripp is trivial: I always use EAC and the Picard for the reference level tagging.
For the DVD-A ripp I use DVD Audio Extractor 8.0.0 (DVDAE), then again Picard.
With DVDAE I can choose whether to ripp the tracks contained in the AUDIO_TS folder or those present in VIDEO_TS.
I noticed that the tracks mapped in MusicBrainz are (almost) always those present in VIDEO_TS. However, I also know that in AUDIO_TS I usually find a subset of the same audio tracks but with a higher resolution, in the mentioned exemple 96kHz/24bit instead of 48kHz/24bit.
At this point the dilemma arises: what to ripp, VIDEO_TS (with exact reference in MusicBrainz but lower resolution) or AUDIO_TS (without references in MusicBrainz but with better resolution)?
And in return: why in MusicBrainz I find only the references of the tracks in VIDEO_TS? Since MusicBrainz is a "Music Encyclopedia" I would expect the focus on the audio tracks, or at least on both!
Even stranger that (but maybe it's an editorial choice of these DVD-A) some tracks are found only in VIDEO_TS, in this case the "Rough Mixes" series.
Can anyone clarify the situation?
Thanks bye.