Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: The sound of dsd in numbers? (Read 5128 times) previous topic - next topic

The sound of dsd in numbers?

Can't resist to link to this finding.
http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f13-musi...d-analog-22819/
There is a label doing dsd conversation inhouse from their PCM masters to feed the chosen dsd listeners with material.
The well done difference graphics done by testikoff, post #7 show the 'magic' of dsd sound impressingly well.
No doubt there is fuller bass with softer, layed back highs.
Must be fun to fullfill wishfull thinking and make money out of it.

Is troll-adiposity coming from feederism?
With 24bit music you can listen to silence much louder!

Reply #1
so Cookie Marenco's 'ideal conversion method' is PCM--> analog-->DSD?  i.e.,  a 'laserdrop'?

Hilarious.

Reply #2
so Cookie Marenco's 'ideal conversion method' is PCM--> analog-->DSD?  i.e.,  a 'laserdrop'?

Hilarious.

But most interesting on the Sound Liaison converts is that on this way we get a boost in deep bass by 3dB and in the criticle band around 5khz a 1dB drop. This gives a fuller bass of course and the 5khz dip will sound more comfortable and relaxed.
Exactly this is what dsd sound is about. If this equalizing goes unnoticed no wonder how people attribute some special sound to dsd. So if you bought the PCM before you now get happy about how much better the dsd format sounds

Re: The sound of dsd in numbers?

Reply #3
To me this High "Resolution" debate becomes more and more silly. There seems to be awful mastering decisions done to satisfy needs i can't follow. I did buy the latest 24/96 Otis Taylor that is absolutely well recorded but must have been manipulated in a way to fit the warm and fuzzy worn tape sound. You know, the sound in reality only dsd can capture ;)
On headphones and speakers it is like some upper mids are EQd away and the bass is boosted to get rid of Morbus Digitalis but imho it simply sounds dead. I want to crank it louder and louder but not because it sounds good but in search of missing sounds.
The same seems to happen on purpose when PCM becomes dsd and thats why i reanimated this thread, sorry.
Anyone else experienced that?

Reply #4
An Audiophool Black Hole

Computer Audiophile is a very good idea. It will continue to suck in  audiophools until none can resist it, and all are sucked in, leaving the world free of their menace.
The most important audio cables are the ones in the brain

Reply #5
An Audiophool Black Hole

Computer Audiophile is a very good idea. It will continue to suck in  audiophools until none can resist it, and all are sucked in, leaving the world free of their menace.
Nah! The'll keep on breeding.

Besides, there's a sucker born every minute.
Listen to the music, not the media it's on.
União e reconstrução

Reply #6
An Audiophool Black Hole

But their blog and forum posts live on to corrupt another generation, sadly.  At least this place will be here to set them straight.

Reply #7
I don't know the technical terms, but I am hoping that it will do the black-hole thing, where audiophools keep getting sucked in, but nothing is able to get out 
The most important audio cables are the ones in the brain

Reply #8
I don't know the technical terms, but I am hoping that it will do the black-hole thing, where audiophools keep getting sucked in, but nothing is able to get out 

The event horizon is so much richer and more authoritative; the emotion and articulation of the Hawking radiation is amazing..