Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: WMP Tag Plus - MPEG4, Vorbis and FLAC metadata support for WMP (Read 517090 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: WMP Tag Plus - MPEG4, Vorbis and FLAC metadata support for WMP

Reply #750
WMP Tag Plus keeps disappearing from WMP. I am using version 2.10. It is there when I install it but once I close out, it disappears? I have tried as administrator and still disappears. Strange???

Reply #751
If WMP Tag Plus doesn't appear in WMP at all then that usually means that you're running the 64-bit version of WMP. My plug-ins only support the 32-bit version, which is still present on x64 Windows without any noticeable difference. So make sure that you're running C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Media Player\wmplayer.exe (and *not* the wmplayer.exe in C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player, which is 64-bit).

Reply #752
Thank You, that was it!!!

Reply #753
Hello, Tim. What are the latest versions of WMP Tag Plus and WMP Plus! that still support Windows XP?

Reply #754
XP support has already ended for the WMP Tag Plus and Windows Media Player Plus! plug-ins. That not only counts for the most recent versions, but for all older versions as well.

If you're asking for the versions that still *work* on XP - I don't even know, to be honest. You're free to try them out of course, and I would expect them to still work for the most part. But keep in mind that no testing is being done anymore on XP, so there could be issues there.

Reply #755
Announcement: the final version of Windows Media Player Plus! 2.10 (*not* WMP Tag Plus) has recently been released.
In addition to this, it seems that Microsoft's native FLAC tag support completely refuses to write any tag changes to file in recent Windows 10 builds, even with the setting mentioned above turned on. So if you use FLAC in WMP's library with the native FLAC tag support, it's highly recommended to disable this native support and instead use the support added by WMP Tag Plus. Instructions on how to do that can be found in the WMP Tag Plus FAQ.

This sounds like the same WMP bug I'm trying to find a workaround for. Hoping that WMP Tag Plus is able to help, but would appreciate some advice from those that know it well. BTW, I do have Write media information changes to files selected.

Here's the problem: I ripped hundreds of CDs using WMP 12.0.27134.556 under Windows 10 using FLAC. Info in the library as viewed in WMP is fine. However, I later discovered that it failed to write tags to some of the song.flac files. Mostly, the first song on an album is incorrect, (tagged as Track 1, album, artist etc "Unknown"), and the remaining songs are OK. A few albums have all tracks untagged. The attached screenshots show the same album with correct WMP info, and incorrect Explorer info from the track 1 tags.

If I change something in WMP, e.g. a song title, it changes the file name to edited_song.flac, but does not change the tag metadata in the file. Sounds like buggy S/W to me, it's doing a half-baked job of writing media info to file.

So what I'm looking for is a way to write the 'good' WMP library data to the actual song files as tags, and do not want to run a program that takes tag data from files and writes it to the library.

Can WMP Tag Plus do the former? Or will it try to do the latter?

Reply #756
The post that you're quoting is from more than a year ago, when there was still some uncertainty as to what was causing the FLAC tag writing issue. In the meantime, this issue is well understood, and opposed to what I suggested in that post, disabling WMP's native FLAC support isn't a valid fix/workaround.

But the good news is that there's already a beta version of WMP Tag Plus available with an option to force WMP to write FLAC library changes to file, see this announcement for more details.

I suggest that you give this beta version a try, but note that it will only help with library changes that are made from that point on. FLAC library changes that have already been made and were previously ignored by WMP won't be retroactively written to file. So to answer your question: WMP Tag Plus will actually do neither - neither will it write existing library data to file, nor will it update existing songs in the library with the tags from file.

As to getting your existing library data written to the tags in the file, I don't know of a way to do that automatically, sorry. The only solution I see is to manually retag the actual files to match the info that's in the library.

Reply #757
Hey Tim, how are you? Long time since I came to this thread. Still using your plugins :D

So I have an issue. When I rate mp3 files in WMP, the rating is reflected back in the file but when I do the same for .m4a files, the original file is not updated. Do you have any idea about this issue? I feel like this issue came when my library got too large

Reply #758
Which version of WMP are you using, on which version of Windows? Do you have the latest version of WMP Tag Plus, 2.10?

How exactly are you checking if the ratings were written to the .m4a files? And how many songs does your library contain?

Reply #759
Thanks for the quick reply! (as always)

WMP version - 12.0.17763.437
Plugins being used -
Windows Media Player Plus! (2.10)
WMP Tag Plus (2.10)

I rate the song/file in WMP. I go to the folder (Windows Explorer) containing the file and the rating is applied in the case mp3 but not m4a

Songs in library - 86,000

I also have a hunch that the issue might be related to the latest version of WMP Tag Plus. I might try downgrading

Reply #760
I've just given this a try on my Windows 10 Insider Preview system (with WMP 12.0.18346.1) but I don't see the same issue there. If you could narrow this down to a specific WMP Tag Plus version then I would take a closer look.

Is only the rating tag affected? Do other tags (e.g. title, artist) still get written to .m4a files?

Reply #761
I've just given this a try on my Windows 10 Insider Preview system (with WMP 12.0.18346.1) but I don't see the same issue there. If you could narrow this down to a specific WMP Tag Plus version then I would take a closer look.

Is only the rating tag affected? Do other tags (e.g. title, artist) still get written to .m4a files?

Can you share that version of WMP?

I tried version 2.10, 2.9 and 2.7 (because I only had these in my download folder). All of them had the same issue. Doesn't seem to be version specific issue.

I just checked and every tag is being affected, not just rating.

Reply #762
I'm wondering if some other third-party software might have replaced Microsoft's MPEG-4 property handler with its own. Could you launch Regedit, navigate to KEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\PropertySystem\PropertyHandlers\.m4a, and check the contents of the (Default) entry? The default contents is {f81b1b56-7613-4ee4-bc05-1fab5de5c07e}, which refers to Microsoft's handler.

What do you mean with 'sharing that version of WMP'?

Reply #763
The value is same as the one you listed

I mean the WMP version you have is newer than mine (I guess due to insider preview)

EDIT: It's not just .m4a. Same issue with .flac

Reply #764
I removed all the songs and all the plugins and the problem still persists. Seems like something else is the issue here

I would still appreciate your help though

Reply #765
... As to getting your existing library data written to the tags in the file, I don't know of a way to do that automatically, sorry. The only solution I see is to manually retag the actual files to match the info that's in the library.

Tim - thanks very much for your reply to my WMP tagging failure. With 20:20 hindsight, wish I'd thought to check that it was behaving properly by inspecting the song files when ripping CDs in the first place. I'll ask Microsoft if there's a fix for it, but won't hold my breath on that. So it's either start all over again with a better ripping program, or manually enter info (painful), or write a program to re-tag song files based on WMP's database. If I ever have some spare time, I'll look in to what the latter would take to do.

Cheers - Jeff

Reply #766
I mean the WMP version you have is newer than mine (I guess due to insider preview)

My WMP version is 12.0.18346.1 (the last numbers always correspond to the Windows build). When checking the build numbers at the Windows 10 version history, your version is actually newer (17763.437 - April 9) than what I currently have (18346 - February 26). So it's still possible that something has changed in the meantime. I'll update my Insider Preview to the latest version and re-check if I see the issue with .m4a, but that will have to wait until next weekend at the earliest.

Before we proceed with other troubleshooting steps, could you please double-check if Write media information changes to files (on the Library tab in WMP's options) is turned *on*?

Reply #767
Before we proceed with other troubleshooting steps, could you please double-check if Write media information changes to files (on the Library tab in WMP's options) is turned *on*?

Yes, it is turned on

Reply #768
Regarding .flac, this is a known issue - WMP on Windows 10 never writes any FLAC tag changes to file. However, WMP Tag Plus 2.11 will be able to override this behavior and force WMP to write the changes after all. The beta version of 2.11 can already be downloaded here, so I suggest that you give that a try. More information about the beta version is in this announcement.

Of course, that still won't help for the changes made for .m4a files. But if the beta version helps for .flac, I have an idea to try it for .m4a as well. It's possible that WMP has recently been updated to not only ignore FLAC tag changes, but also changes to M4A files.

Reply #769
Regarding .flac, this is a known issue - WMP on Windows 10 never writes any FLAC tag changes to file. However, WMP Tag Plus 2.11 will be able to override this behavior and force WMP to write the changes after all. The beta version of 2.11 can already be downloaded here, so I suggest that you give that a try. More information about the beta version is in this announcement.

Of course, that still won't help for the changes made for .m4a files. But if the beta version helps for .flac, I have an idea to try it for .m4a as well. It's possible that WMP has recently been updated to not only ignore FLAC tag changes, but also changes to M4A files.

After WMP Tag Plus 2.11, the .flac tags are being updated EXCEPT rating. For some reason, I cannot save the rating of a .flac file in Windows explorer, even after going in to properties and rating the file. When I change the rating and click Apply, the rating is not saved but the Date Modified field is updated.

Anyway, I'm not really concerned with this bug. Your plug-in did its job. If you can do what you're saying you can (for .m4a), this is definitely a progress!

Thank you very much for sticking so far.

Reply #770
I see the same behavior regarding FLAC ratings with WMP Tag Plus 2.11 on my Windows 10 system. But I'm pretty sure that this has always been the case - Microsoft's native FLAC tag support in Windows 10 simply doesn't read/write the ratings to/from FLAC files. On the other hand, the FLAC tag support included with WMP Tag Plus does read/write ratings, but to enable that you'll first need to disable the native tag support, see the FAQ for instructions.

To enable the workaround in version 2.11 for .m4a files as well, a specific registry setting needs to be added. For this you'll need to download the wmptp_force_write_m4a_tags.zip file, unzip it, right-click the unzipped .reg file, select Merge, and confirm on the subsequent dialog boxes. Then WMP needs to be restarted for the change to take effect.

Please give this a try and let me know if it helps for the .m4a changes to be written back to file. I can't guarantee that it will work but it's definitely worth a try. Thanks!

Reply #771
I see the same behavior regarding FLAC ratings with WMP Tag Plus 2.11 on my Windows 10 system. But I'm pretty sure that this has always been the case - Microsoft's native FLAC tag support in Windows 10 simply doesn't read/write the ratings to/from FLAC files. On the other hand, the FLAC tag support included with WMP Tag Plus does read/write ratings, but to enable that you'll first need to disable the native tag support, see the FAQ for instructions.

To enable the workaround in version 2.11 for .m4a files as well, a specific registry setting needs to be added. For this you'll need to download the wmptp_force_write_m4a_tags.zip file, unzip it, right-click the unzipped .reg file, select Merge, and confirm on the subsequent dialog boxes. Then WMP needs to be restarted for the change to take effect.

Please give this a try and let me know if it helps for the .m4a changes to be written back to file. I can't guarantee that it will work but it's definitely worth a try. Thanks!

Didn't work unfortunately

Reply #772
I gave the latest Insider Preview a try (with WMP 10.0.18362.1) but any changes I make in the library for .m4a files, including rating, are still being written to file, so that rules out a recent change made by Microsoft.

At least for lossy M4A files in the AAC format. I'm now seeing issues though for M4A files in lossless (ALAC) format: WMP puts these into the Other media library again, just like this was the case on Windows 7.

Are your M4A files lossy or lossless?

Reply #773
I gave the latest Insider Preview a try (with WMP 10.0.18362.1) but any changes I make in the library for .m4a files, including rating, are still being written to file, so that rules out a recent change made by Microsoft.

At least for lossy M4A files in the AAC format. I'm now seeing issues though for M4A files in lossless (ALAC) format: WMP puts these into the Other media library again, just like this was the case on Windows 7.

Are your M4A files lossy or lossless?

My files are lossy

Reply #774
Then this appears to be an issue that's specific to your system, unfortunately. I'm afraid that I have run out of ideas, but you may want to check the other suggestions that are listed in the FAQ (under Why aren't the tag changes that I make in Windows Media Player being written to file? - General). If those don't help either you may want to consider performing a repair install of Windows 10.

Sorry for not being able to help you fix this. Whenever you have any updates, feel free to report back here.