Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: par2, should i use? (Read 16216 times) previous topic - next topic

par2, should i use?

Reply #25
In 3 years when your disc has developed errors, you use dvdisaster with your stored redundancy file to extract what it can and repair and you are given a repaired image you can burn again.

My experience with dying DVDRs is that at most cases no data can be read at all. Something with corruplion of TOC? Or "Lead-in"? Can dvdisaster help in this case?

They seem similar but par2 works with files in a working/mounted filesystem while dvdisaster works with images and the device directly. This really makes a difference when the worst occurs...

You are right - par2 is file-oriented. But I like the solution people recommended here: apply par to images of disks to be written. Than write whole DVDR(s) with par data and/or store it at HDD/tape/whatever. Having one par-DVDR will recover you any one failed data-DVDR in batch. Made two pars-DVDR? Recover any two failed at once.

par2, should i use?

Reply #26
One, manufactured CD's and DVDs do not degrade in the same way or at the same rate as burned media; in fact, as far as I know, they don't really 'degrade' at all.

Not true! I have several CD's without a scratch on them where the reflective layer has disappeared in some areas.
Glass half full!

par2, should i use?

Reply #27

One, manufactured CD's and DVDs do not degrade in the same way or at the same rate as burned media; in fact, as far as I know, they don't really 'degrade' at all.

Not true! I have several CD's without a scratch on them where the reflective layer has disappeared in some areas.

I've seen this exact problem as well, however, I believe it is a matter of manufacturing defects, not a matter of degradation due to time. The problem, from what I can see, isn't the same as older CDRs, which are clearly degrading over time, nor does it affect the vast majority of pressed CDs. Manufactured CDs do have their own issues, however, they aren't slowly becoming unreadable. Given a CD with no manufacturing defects, I do not believe they will lose any data for a very long time.

Please, correct me if I am wrong in this.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?  ;~)