Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: MathAudio Headphone EQ for Foobar2000 (Read 22494 times) previous topic - next topic

MathAudio Headphone EQ for Foobar2000

MathAudio Headphone EQ for Foobar2000

•     Helps to detect and compensate for the unwanted resonances in high-quality headphones and earphones.
  •     Includes a test signal generator.
  •     Includes a crossfeed feature which allows the listener to reduce the channel separation to a natural level. The crossfeed makes the headphones less fatiguing to listen to for long periods.
  •     Supports up to 99 compensating filters.
  •     Supports individual correction of left and right channels.
  •     Supports undo/redo operations.
  •     Applies 64-bit signal path throughout.
  •     Supports full range of sample rates from 44,056 kHz up to 352,8 kHz.

Download: mathaudio.com/download.htm

Re: MathAudio Headphone EQ for Foobar2000

Reply #1
Hello @k2k,
I installed Headphone EQ ver 1.4.0 and I cannot hear any sweep tone (I have ASIO driver).
I also pressed the button sweep-out to check the output settings, but the button is unresponsive.
I think there is a bug somewhere.
Regards, Andrea

Reply #3
Hello @k2k, unfortunately the link provided landed me to the download page, but the only package effectively available for download is the old 1.4.0 even if on the page there is written 1.4.1.
Please, kindly check.
Thanks and regards, Andrea

Reply #4
Hello @k2k, I could download the new package 1.4.1 a few minutes ago.
It is still NOT working with ASIO.
Now the Sweep Out button works but selecting any ASIO output I cannot get any output there.
It works only if I select regular embedded laptop audio loudspeaker.
Because I am using very well known, professional and solid MOTU ASIO driver, I have to suppose there is some other problem pending.
Kind regards,
Andrea

Reply #5
Hello @k2k, I though about and I think the best would be to have also the option to Sweep-Out directly into/to the next component present in the DSP chain.
In my headphone DSP configuration, your component is the last, but it may be not the last...
I tell you this because I am now having problem with Room EQ also ... and I am going to write to you in the appropriate thread.
Regards, Andrea

Reply #6
Hello @k2k, I could download the new package 1.4.1 a few minutes ago.
It is still NOT working with ASIO.
Now the Sweep Out button works but selecting any ASIO output I cannot get any output there.
It works only if I select regular embedded laptop audio loudspeaker.
Because I am using very well known, professional and solid MOTU ASIO driver, I have to suppose there is some other problem pending.
Kind regards,
Andrea
The Foobar2000 version of Headphone EQ can send the sweep sound to a conventional Windows driver only, not ASIO. I believe that your MOTU set includes conventional Windows drivers and you can temporarily use them to make the correction curve. After that you can use Foobar2000 to work with your ASIO drivers.
Hello @k2k, I though about and I think the best would be to have also the option to Sweep-Out directly into/to the next component present in the DSP chain.
In my headphone DSP configuration, your component is the last, but it may be not the last...
Regards, Andrea
It could be a good idea, but the Foobar2000's plug-in interface doesn't allow us to return any sound when Foobar2000 doesn't send a sound to the plug-in's input. That is why the Foobar2000 version of Headphone EQ sends the sweep sound directly to the sound card.

Reply #7
-

Reply #8
Hello K2K, thanks for the explanation. I will use your VST2 plug-in for headphone EQ testing.
Regards, Andrea

Reply #9
Hello @k2k, I see that a new version is up. What's new?
Did you find the solution for having signal out of ASIO?
Regards, Andrea

Reply #10
Hello @k2k, I see that a new version is up. What's new?
A small bug is fixed which affected the Mac version only. We use the same C++ code for all versions, so the Foobar version is updated too.
Did you find the solution for having signal out of ASIO?
Regards, Andrea
When you click the "Sweep Out" button, Headphone EQ shows you all the available (non-ASIO) audio devices that can be used to output the sweep tone. If you use a MOTU audio interface, most probably there is a non-ASIO dirver that can be used to output the sweep tone. If you can select something like "MOTU Line Out" but the sound is absent, it is possible that another program occupies your ASIO driver at the moment and your audio interface cannot work in ASIO and non-ASIO modes simultaneously. If you use the Foobar's "ASIO Support" component, try to temporarily disable it to allow your audio interface to work in non-ASIO mode.

Reply #11
Thank you K2K for the info and the tip.
Regards, Andrea

Reply #12
Hi all,

I added 2 buttons on my skins, one for equalizer and one for MathAudio Headphones EQ, the one for equalizer works but not the other.

if (bbtn2_b) Buttons.bottom2 = new Button(ww / 16 * 5, Math.floor(wh / 12 * 11) - 1, bbw, bsh, a, function(){fb.RunMainMenuCommand("MathAudio Headphone EQ")});
if (bbtn3_b) Buttons.bottom3 = new Button(ww / 16 * 7, Math.floor(wh / 12 * 11) - 1, bbw, bsh, a, function(){fb.RunMainMenuCommand("Graphic Equalizer")});

Can you help me please  ?

Reply #13
I'd appreciate tips on troubleshooting.  I'm using default Windows driver for my DAC.  Headphone EQ is the only Active DSP.  The Sweep function seems to work: I hear the tone and gain control works.  But the EQ seems non-functional.  Filters have no effect, nor does the gain control or Crossfeed.

Reply #14
I'd appreciate tips on troubleshooting.  I'm using default Windows driver for my DAC.  Headphone EQ is the only Active DSP.  The Sweep function seems to work: I hear the tone and gain control works.  But the EQ seems non-functional.  Filters have no effect, nor does the gain control or Crossfeed.
- Make sure that the "EQ" radio button is selected.
- Make a "strong"  peaking filter with a gain of about -30 dB. The equalizer effect must become very audible.
- Try to use one of the default Foobar2000 components instead of the Headphone EQ. Does it work?

Reply #15
Hello guys,

Sorry, but I do not manage to set anything reasonable at all.
May I ask a few questions and make a few layman suggestions?

1. The EQ settings window is only 7x6,3cm small on a 13 inch tablet. The font is actually impossible to read. I tried using a magnifying glass as the EQ window is also not zoomable. Why is it not customizable? It makes the setup unnecessarily fiddly. Could this perhaps be changed? Because music can also be listened to with (Windows) tablets with Foobar2000 and headphones (e.g. a Surface).

2. There is talk about applying the filter parameters from Oratory1990 or Jaakko Pasanen's presets before you start, as that would simplify the work a lot. But I don't see any way to load these presets in MathAudio Headphone EQ. It is only offered to load a HDP file. No TXT or CSV files are supported, as they are offered e.g. on https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq. Couldn't support for these be introduced to really make EQ setup easier?

3. Which preset would you be able to apply to the EQ? I see three to choose from: FixedBandEQ, GraphicEQ and ParametricEQ. Which one would be the right one? (see: https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq/tree/master/results/oratory1990/harman_over-ear_2018/Koss%20Porta%20Pro)

4) I may have overlooked or over-read something as I am not native English speaker. If so, please accept my apologies.
I ask that you also forgive me for being a complete novice at setting up equalizers. Otherwise, I would be happy to take my hints as suggestions for improvement.

Thank you!

[Bumpy translated with DeepL]

Reply #16
Hello guys,

Sorry, but I do not manage to set anything reasonable at all.

To make things simple, drop me an email with the accurate type of your headphones, and I will make a preset for your headphones. You can find our email at https://mathaudio.com/contact.htm

Reply #17
Ok, I have done that.
I have a Koss and a AKG headphone...
Thank you very much!

Reply #18
Thank you k2k for providing this corrective component for headphones as fb2k plugin as well. While its there some time already, became more famous and popular for fb2k users (not only). The combination of parametric equalizer with crossfeed forms a logical package that will undoubtedly find its users.

My question is about the crossfeed module, whose purpose is described in layman's terms on the homepage, but there is no mention of the principle it uses.
I would like to ask the author what mathematics or principle is used in this filter to the extent that's  possible for the author, thank you very much. From a subjective comparison of available plugins based on different principles ("simple" crossfeed, crossfeed with J. Meier's thoughts, HRTF, etc etc etc..) I assume that HRTF is used here..

As I wrote, the combination of equalizer and crossfeed module is a logical step. Since it is primarily about equalization of hearing aids and crossfeed there is a kind of "addition", although I have a question about the possibility to create a plugin only with the crossfeed module. Someone has the equalization solved in a different way and uses only crossfeed. The possibility to disable equalization is of course known to me, but I am interested in this possibility to separate the crossfeed functionality.

Thank you very much for an answer.  

Reply #19
Yes, it is possible to separate the crossfeed functionality. The problem lies in the fact that every plug-in needs some support. For example, we adapt our plug-ins to every new version of Windows and Mac OS X. This work takes much time. Supporting one plug-in takes less time than supporting two plug-ins. On the other hand, disabling the equalization is easy and the disabled equalizer doesn't consume any CPU resources.

Yes, we use a sort of a HRTF algorithm in the crossfeed block.

Reply #20
Just discovered this interesting looking program.  Noticed FB2k is still 32-bit.  Is there going to be a 64-bit update in the future?  Sounds like a great program, and I'd like to buy it for sure, if there's an upcoming update.

Reply #21
Just discovered this interesting looking program.  Noticed FB2k is still 32-bit.  Is there going to be a 64-bit update in the future?
The beta x64 version of Foobar2000 is already available at https://www.foobar2000.org/download
The x64 version of MathAudio Headphone EQ for Foobar2000 should be available before the end of October at https://mathaudio.com/download.htm

Reply #23
Just discovered this interesting looking program.  Noticed FB2k is still 32-bit.  Is there going to be a 64-bit update in the future?
The beta x64 version of Foobar2000 is already available at https://www.foobar2000.org/download
The x64 version of MathAudio Headphone EQ for Foobar2000 should be available before the end of October at https://mathaudio.com/download.htm
Thanks.  I actually did mean the 64 version of this plug-in.  Sounds great...I'll wait for it.

Reply #24
Thanks.  I actually did mean the 64 version of this plug-in.  Sounds great...I'll wait for it.
We've just published a new version of the Headphone EQ component for Foobar2000 which is compatible with both x32 and x64 versions of Foobar2000. The new version can be downloaded from https://mathaudio.com/download.htm