Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: How can decode mp3pro files? (Read 9253 times) previous topic - next topic

How can decode mp3pro files?

I have absolutely no interest in the format itself but I stumbled unto some mp3pro files and I'd rather decode them properly instead of being stuck with the basic 64kbps and 22.5khz of the compatible part.
The comment tag says "THOMSON mp3PRO Encoder v1.0.4"
How do I squeeze the "PRO" quality from them?

Re: How can decode mp3pro files?

Reply #1
Here's the web.archive of the original player software for mp3pro: http://web.archive.org/web/20160423104320/http://www.mp3prozone.com/download.htm

How to convert that playback into a wav I'll leave up as an exercise for you (possibly with the winamp plugin?). Probably not worth it, dead format, dead files, Re-acquire from a better source.

Reply #2
As always, rarewares.org may come to your rescue.

(hhaven't tested out any link though; but pretty sure Roberto and John have been looking after them properly)
Listen to the music, not the media it's on.
União e reconstrução

Reply #3
Interesting. I just noticed FFmpeg can't decode "mp3PRO". An "mp3PRO" is technically a regular MP3 file, but which requires SBR when reconstructing. So an mp3PRO file should sound muffled, when played with a player which is unaware of using SBR for it.

I also haven't seen any mentioning of mp3PRO in mplayer/mpv. VLC is supposedly able to correctly play mp3PRO files. However I don't have any mp3PRO files, so I can't check that.

Can we have some mp3PRO sample files from somewhere?

Reply #4
A few samples encoded with CoolEdit and Nero Burning Rom with varying parameters, alongside normal MP3 for reference.

Reply #5
Sorry if this was already obvious, but the mp3PRO player still plays and decodes mp3PRO files.

Reply #6
Sorry if this was already obvious, but the mp3PRO player still plays and decodes mp3PRO files.
<image>
Yeah, I was talking about Linux tools, I guess I forgot to mention that.