Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Registering with free email now possible (Read 10681 times) previous topic - next topic

Registering with free email now possible

It is now possible to register on Hydrogenaudio.org and on the foobar2000.org forums with a free email address such as one from Hotmail, Yahoo, Gmail, or any of the free email providers.

However, after registering you will have a waiting period of 5 days before you can make posts.

We hope that this allows people who really could not obtain a real email address to participate in the discussions here, while still providing a sufficient barrier against spam and abuse.

There might be revisions to this policy if the need arises.

Reply #1
Thanks!

I just changed to an address that I use, which I couldn't do before.

Reply #2
Great, now I can use the Gmail address I use for everything else!
we was young an' full of beans

Reply #3
Thank you, now I can finally use the gmail account that I actually use (and by extension, notifications will be useful now )

Reply #4
Thank you, I was already registered with a gmail account that I seldom use anymore (must've slipped in before it was blocked previously).

Reply #5
Thank you. I had been registered with a deleted email address for the past 4+ years and could not modify it because of the previous policy. Now using Gmail. 

Reply #6
I believe this filter period of five days should be for any member on any forum..

i persoanlly live by the rule that i spend at lest 30 days on a forum to pick up the "enviroment" before psting anything.
Sven Bent - Denmark

Reply #7
Seems I'm not the only one who's been a member with a defunct email address for ages....  java script:emoticon(':P', 'smid_5')

Thanks for finally allowing freemailers now.

Reply #8
Thanks for finally allowing freemailers now.

That would be again.

I registered with my Yahoo adress. And I have been around here since the early days.

I wonder, why was the policy changed in the first place?
I'm the one in the picture, sitting on a giant cabbage in Mexico, circa 1978.
Reseñas de Rock en Español: www.estadogeneral.com

Reply #9
This is good news!
I had previously told some people about HA.org without ever realizing they couldn't become members do to the type of email service they used. Hopefully this new system works and doesn't get abused by the damn spammers, trolls, and want nots!

Reply #10
finally, i can use my regular email.

i still dont understand why we couldn't register with web-based email before.

Reply #11
because of spammers.

Reply #12
i didnt realize hyrdrogenaudio was a hotspot for spammers. i was kind of under the impression that hydrogenuadio isn't exactly a well known site.

Reply #13
i didnt realize hyrdrogenaudio was a hotspot for spammers. i was kind of under the impression that hydrogenuadio isn't exactly a well known site.

A site with close to 30 000 members and regular visitors will always be a lightning rod for spammers.

In the beginning, of course, it was not. Back when it was called "Project Mayhem"
I'm the one in the picture, sitting on a giant cabbage in Mexico, circa 1978.
Reseñas de Rock en Español: www.estadogeneral.com

Reply #14

A site with close to 30 000 members and regular visitors will always be a lightning rod for spammers.

In the beginning, of course, it was not. Back when it was called "Project Mayhem"

oops, didnt notice that there were so many members. that explains it.

Reply #15
Thanks!

Reply #16
Wow, just realized I had an inactive e-mail address registered here. I suppose that was thanks to the previous rule. Current, active e-mal address substituted as of today.

Reply #17
Good move on that!

I had to go and use my parents ISP e-mail to sign up here. Just goes to show that you HA.org guys listen to the users. The 5 days isnt a big deal for normal users, just sign up and forget about it for 5 days and come back.
And if you believe theres not a chance to die...