Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Lame 3.99.5 Command-Line Options For Foobar2000 Trancoding? (Read 14762 times) previous topic - next topic

Lame 3.99.5 Command-Line Options For Foobar2000 Trancoding?

I've been looking for a solution to create both FLAC and Mp3 files with complete ID3 tags from a single rip.  After looking into several other solutions, I decided that my best option would probably be to use EAC to rip to FLAC, and then Foobar2000 to transcode to Mp3.

I want to use Lame 3.99.5 with the following options:
-V 0 --vbr-new --add-id3v2 --pad-id3v2 --ta "%artist%" --tt "%title%" --tl "%albumtitle%" --tg "%genre%" --ty "%year%" --tn "%tracknr%" --tc "%comment%" %source% %dest%

^ When I attempt to paste the above line into Foobar2000 for transcoding, I get an error.  I assume this is because it is tailored for EAC.  Can anyone help me convert those options to something that Foobar2000 can understand?

Reply #1
I don’t even need to search for you to answer this one! foobar2000 has a built-in preset for LAME and can tag it automatically, so just add a new Converter preset, choose LAME, choose -V0, and go from there.

Reply #2
And, as a more general answer, you don't need any of the tag options in any of your encoder command lines, foobar2000 will copy over the relevant metadata (minus album art) automatically.
It's only audiophile if it's inconvenient.

Reply #3
I don’t even need to search for you to answer this one! foobar2000 has a built-in preset for LAME and can tag it automatically, so just add a new Converter preset, choose LAME, choose -V0, and go from there.

I saw that it has a built-in Lame choice, but it gives no indication of which version it's using, and I'm not sure I saw an option for -V0.  To be honest, I'm not very good with the command line options, which is why I'm asking for help.  I tried removing all the tagging stuff, but Foobar still gives an error about %d.  I was hoping someone more knowledgeable could post exactly what my command-line should be for what I posted above.

I should probably also mention that I'd like the filename output to list the track number before the song title.  Example:
03 - Songname.mp3

Reply #4
, foobar2000 will copy over the relevant metadata (minus album art) automatically.

That doesnot apply fully. In some cases foobar preserves cover art. Probably when target format is lossless.

Reply #5
I saw that it has a built-in Lame choice, but it gives no indication of which version it's using, ...
It's built-in presets only - foobar2000 uses external encoders (from location indicated by user).

...and I'm not sure I saw an option for -V0. ...
Look at quality slider - You can choose from V9 to V0 and at the end 320kbps CBR.

...I tried removing all the tagging stuff, but Foobar still gives an error about %d. ...
Uh...? And Your command line looks like?:
Code: [Select]
--noreplaygain -V0 - %d

vbr-new is used by default by Lame.

As mentioned, there is no need to set its own command line to what you described.

...I should probably also mention that I'd like the filename output to list the track number before the song title. ...
Destination > Output style and file name formatting and just set:
Code: [Select]
[%tracknumber% - ]%title%

Reply #6
Thanks Placio74.  The command line in my original post was for use with EAC 1.0B3, and I believe I just copied it from somewhere in Hydrogenaudio Wiki.  In regards to the default "MP3 Lame" setting (with the slider), I still don't see anything that specifies where it's getting lame.exe, which means there's no way of verifying what version it's using.  HOWEVER, I was able to create a custom selection with the code you posted, and I was also able to correct the filename issue with your help.  So as it stands right now, I think that took care of all my problems.  Thanks!

Reply #7
I still don't see anything that specifies where [foobar2000]'s getting lame.exe, which means there's no way of verifying what version it's using.
Yes, there is. foobar2000 either uses the lame.exe contained in its own directory or prompts you to specify the location of the executable you wish to use. So, you absolutely can check for yourself which binary is being used.

Reply #8
If You previously point out location of encoder (when program asked for it at first conversion) and can't remember that location - check it in configuration.
Preferences > Advanced > Tools > Converter
Go to folder with encoder and check encoder version from command line (CMD) or just replace to latest version.

Also... after conversion, in a new MP3 file is stored version of encoder.
You can check this in foobar2000 (in converted file) - Properties > Properties tab > Tool

Reply #9
Thanks for the help guys.  I stand corrected in that you CAN specify your version of lame.exe for the preset "MP3 Lame" with the slider, but you have to actually attempt to use it first.  Since I saw no such option, I never attempted to use the preset.  It's a bit of a logical fallacy as far as programming is concerned.  Nobody's going to dive into a pool if there doesn't appear to be water.  There should absolutely be a config setting for this in the "Edit Preset" window.

Reply #10
Something misunderstood...?
foobar2000 doesn't read and show version from lame.exe (and other encoders).
foobar2000 doesn't contain Lame encoder (and other encoders) and don't use encoder from random location (only specified by user - except main foobar2000 folder).
So... go to location where You put lame.exe and check version directly.
It's Your choice from where foobar2000 uses Lame and what version You put.