Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: More LAME Updates... (Read 4782 times) previous topic - next topic

More LAME Updates...

Rev9a:

http://static.hydrogenaudio.org/extra/lame_dm_rev9a-ICL.zip (recommended, faster compile, and more tested)

http://static.hydrogenaudio.org/extra/lame_dm_rev9a-MSVC.zip
(slower compile, generates slightly smaller bitrates)

Note: I recommend that everyone who wants to be sure about the quality get the ICL version, this is the version I test on and I have now noted at least one case where the MSVC version sounds ever so slightly worse (try --alt-preset fast standard with ICL vs MSVC on fatboy.wav).  The difference is small, and this is the only case I have seen yet out of many, many files, but the difference is there so I recommend the ICL version to be sure.

What's New:

- defaulted -b128 for --alt-preset standard, should have hardly any effect on bitrates

- Quality improvements for extreme and insane modes

- More bitrate tunings for extreme mode.. the bitrate should now average much closer to 256kbps.

*Update*

- removed abr bitrate compensation code due to changes Mark made which make default abr bitrates more accurate

More LAME Updates...

Reply #1
Is the only difference in standard the -b128?  If so, I assume I could do -b112 if I wanted to with no repercussions (for some mono stuff I'm encoding)...
It's is not, it isn't ain't, and it's it's, not its, if you mean it is.  If you don't, it's its.

More LAME Updates...

Reply #2
Yes, that's the only difference in the standard mode, and if you need to you could use a slightly lower bitrate.  For most music of course, the -b128 will have nearly no impact on bitrate at all since there are hardly any 112kbps frames used with this preset.

More LAME Updates...

Reply #3
Another small update...

More LAME Updates...

Reply #4
Originally posted by Dibrom
Rev9a:

http://static.hydrogenaudio.org/extra/lame_dm_rev9a-ICL.zip (recommended, faster compile, and more tested)

http://static.hydrogenaudio.org/extra/lame_dm_rev9a-MSVC.zip
(slower compile, generates slightly smaller bitrates)

Note: I recommend that everyone who wants to be sure about the quality get the ICL version, this is the version I test on and I have now noted at least one case where the MSVC version sounds ever so slightly worse (try --alt-preset fast standard with ICL vs MSVC on fatboy.wav).  The difference is small, and this is the only case I have seen yet out of many, many files, but the difference is there so I recommend the ICL version to be sure.
  damn.  but you only noticed this in fast mode, right?  damn.

Originally posted by Dibrom
- removed abr bitrate compensation code due to changes Mark made which make default abr bitrates more accurate
Does this have to do with aiming the bitrate higher, since it usually ends up smaller?

More LAME Updates...

Reply #5
Originally posted by SNYder
  damn.  but you only noticed this in fast mode, right?  damn.

Yes.  It's probably nothing to really worry much about at all.. but for those who just want to be *absolutely* certain, I recommend that compile is all.

Does this have to do with aiming the bitrate higher, since it usually ends up smaller?

Yes.  Before this modification I added a small amount of bitrate to each setting passed to the encoder.  For example, if someone passed 128kbps I'd add 6kbps to that target to come to 134kbps (like ff123 suggests on his page) to come out to a final bitrate of 128kbps.  Preliminary testing seems to show that isn't necessary anymore, so I removed the code that would try to add this bitrate to achieve a more correct target.

More LAME Updates...

Reply #6
Hiya there Dibrom, I just like to say thanks and great work on your presets for LAME. You made it easier for a lot of people (trust me explaining to people the command line over and over does get on my nerves, now I just say "lame --alt-preset standard src-file.wav tgt-file.mp3  ) to get the best quality and best filesize from their MP3's.
-=MusePack... Living Audio Compression=-

Honda - The Power of Dreams