Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: MusePack audible distortion (Read 9968 times) previous topic - next topic

MusePack audible distortion

Reply #25
Originally posted by layer3maniac
No - that sounds like a bug to me. It should let you be as wrong as you want to be!

Alrighty. I'll give it a listen tomorrow, as I have to finish a Scenarist template tonight, and then go to sleep.

I should post on it sometime around 10-11am CST tomorrow.

Reply #27
I have also uploaded another sample called SmashingSample89.pac, which is the same file, except attenuated 1 dB using SSRC.

I noticed that the original file will clip upon decode.

ff123

Reply #28
Well, I tested the first version. I thought I heard several things, like not so well defined hihat hits, noisyness in the continuos cymbal backround, noise spreading in the 1.5sec loud "tambourine" sounding hit.

But I couldn't get high ABX score yet. Will try later again.

In my opinion it's at least nothing very audible or serious. Again you can find original to sound "distorted" as well..
Juha Laaksonheimo

Reply #29
Oof, bad sleeping schedule.

I ABX'd (the program screwed up on me twice more...XP bug?) and couldn't reliably ABX it either. 8/20. I'll try again on more sleep, and with headphones. Not to mention I did more like 50 trials' worth counting the crashes. I was probably fatigued by then. *I* know I had trouble concentrating.

I saw that the sample clipped when it decompressed, but I didn't know whether that would make an audible difference or not. I have other mpc's that sound fine but still report clipping, so I tend to ignore the warning.

Reply #30
Just to let you know, another Smashing Pumpkins song does this, and quite effectively.  It's "Mayonaise" from their Siamese Dream album, if I'm not mistaken.  It starts off very quiet, but then crashes into the main portion of the song with a very loud cymbal crash/guitar chord/drum beat, etc.  It just doesn't work, and I'm using the -xtreme preset.  If you'd like me to upload the sample, I don't have it with me at the moment, but can get the CD from a friend and post it tonight.

Reply #31
Sure, post a sample.
Juha Laaksonheimo

Reply #32
I've got that album as well, so if you can't get it, I can upload it to that FTP or however its to be done. It's not in terribly good shape (the album), so if your copy is clean, it would definitely be a better idea.

Reply #33
Sure thing, I'll post to the ftp as soon as I get a chance.  Other than these two Pumpkins songs, however, I must admit that I've been unusually happy with the quality of MPC.  It really seems to be able to handle a lot of encoding trouble areas pretty well.  Have yet to try it out on a dolby pro-logic system, however

Reply #34
I have also uploaded another sample called SmashingSample89.pac, which is the same file, except attenuated 1 dB using SSRC.
I have a number of files that fit this criteria. Is this the method you reccommend, rather than setting replaygain to a manual value that prevents the clipping..?

I noticed that the original file will clip upon decode.
So I may infer that attenuating the sample solved the problem..?

Thanks.

Reply #35
Originally posted by macdaddy
I have a number of files that fit this criteria. Is this the method you reccommend, rather than setting replaygain to a manual value that prevents the clipping..?

If there is no internal clipping upon encoding, using replaygain will work just as well.

--
GCP

Reply #36
So SSRC should only be used to attenuate the .wav when internal clipping occurs?

Thanks for the clarifiacation.