Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: low-cost wifi-audio-device (Read 3815 times) previous topic - next topic

low-cost wifi-audio-device

Hi,

I'm searching for a low-cost wifi-audio-device, soundbridge-device, Digital Media Renderer or Digital Media Player
The idea is to send audio per wifi, e.g. upnp (foo_upnp or android-smartphone), to this receiver connected to my hifi-setup.

Of course there might be several approaches like a small HTPC, smartphone, devices below.. but all are bit at high price.
As airplay comes in the world of PC-users, airplay might also be an option, even though I would prefer upnp.

The AVM Fritz!WLAN Repeater N/G or the apple airport express come very very close to my needs, but as said the price is a bit too high for my purpose IMHO.
I don't want to use FM Transmitters.

Does anybody know some low-cost device or china-ware that might be a look worth?

Reply #1
I like the Ipod Touch with the Airport Express connected to my receiver. I bought an AE refurbished on ebay, they're significantly cheaper and are pretty much the same. But it's only an option of course if you use and IOS device with Airplay. I don't know if Android devices might do Airplay in the near future.

Reply #2
But how do the Airport sound outputs sounds? Looks like they only output through the mini jack, which means that you might not be happy with the DAC Apple put in.

Reply #3
Analog is perfectly fine, but also, it doubles as an optical output too. It's one of the two ways to get digital out of the Ipod without a computer that I know.