Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: MIDI controller can be used as a sound card? (Read 2420 times) previous topic - next topic

MIDI controller can be used as a sound card?

can they used as a sound card such as m-audio Ozonic?
I am planing to buy a sound card (firebox) for my iMac, for ouput to m-audio bx8.
Can I juz buy a Midi Controller and used it to output?

If it can , is the sound above average?

Thanks

Reply #1
can they used as a sound card such as m-audio Ozonic?
I am planing to buy a sound card (firebox) for my iMac, for ouput to m-audio bx8.
Can I juz buy a Midi Controller and used it to output?

If it can , is the sound above average?

I don't get it.
iMac is a computer and it doesn't have its own soundcard?

If this iMac of yours doesn't have a soundcard, then you need one - either usual internal (built-in), or external (e.g. via USB or firewire).
Some MIDI workstations may have a soundcard in them but I really doubt that a mere MIDI controller would have one.
Looking at m-audio Ozonic specs I don't see anywhere mention of soundcard capabilities, so most likely it doesn't have it. What is the purpose of this 4x4 audio routing? Is it really so usefull? Seems like it is just a mixer done in hardware. why not do it in software.

Edit: Aha... here in this review they say "M-Audio Ozone" has a USB soundcard. And I noticed another review where they say that Ozonic is a soundcard too.
Well, then I don't know.
Some pimped up MIDI controllers these thingies are. interesting.

If you're planning to make professional recordings then of course you need a better quality soundcard. Try searching the forum what people recommend.

Reply #2
the m-audio ozonic is unique in that it's a midi controller AND an audio interface.  however, it is the ONLY keyboard midi controller you can buy that will give you a soundcard; if you buy any other midi keyboard you won't be getting any sound out of it.

i guess the whole point of the ozonic was to make a one stop portable solution for recording with laptops and the like, pretty good plan... i've yet to see one in use as a primary sound card though.

if you need low latency, go with the firebox.  if latency doesn't matter, the ozonic will probably work fine, and you get a keyboard and a couple preamps to boot =D