Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.

Poll

Which lossy is YOUR daddy?

MP3
[ 218 ] (36.1%)
Ogg Vorbis
[ 154 ] (25.5%)
MP4-AAC
[ 68 ] (11.3%)
MPC
[ 146 ] (24.2%)
WMA
[ 12 ] (2%)
Other
[ 6 ] (1%)

Total Members Voted: 741

Topic: time for another what-lossy-codec-do-you-do-poll (Read 116398 times) previous topic - next topic

time for another what-lossy-codec-do-you-do-poll

Reply #75
here is the latest 3.9x testin thread

Reply #76
I'm suprised that Vorbis only has 21%. Oh well, its what I use for my lossy needs.

Reply #77
I like to use only ogg and flac on my Karma. So when people ask "how many mp3s you got on that thing?",  I can reply "none, just flac and ogg."

Reply #78
2. which lossy codec would you use if all hardware supported all lossy codecs - aac
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=276948"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Why not MPC? Just curious.
Infrasonic Quartet + Sennheiser HD650 + Microlab Solo 2 mk3. 

Reply #79
2. which lossy codec would you use if all hardware supported all lossy codecs - aac
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=276948"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=278644"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Personal preference I guess. 

Plus I have positive placebo effects with aac and negative placebo effects with mpc.  Don’t ask me why, because I don’t know why.

either way, because of placebo, aac sounds much better "to my ears" then mpc! 

Maybe its got something to do with how cool the extension .mp4 looks LOL!!!

Reply #80

You can't seek for logic in lossy codec zealotry  Even if XYZ proved to be higher quality I'd be using MPC. 

BTW wasn't MPC #1 the last time? It's interesting it can't make it to the top spot in HA community, full of people that knows what is good.  Maybe we need a table showing the change in HA figures for every poll compared to earlier ones.

Nice avatar by the way. Évariste Galois was one of the missing geniuses represented as avatar in HA community. Alexander Grothendieck is another one who I'd like to see as an avatar.
The object of mankind lies in its highest individuals.
One must have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star.

Reply #81
Even if XYZ proved to be higher quality I'd be using MPC.

hehe.. I do not really, per say, feel that way about vorbis; if another format came along and it was open source like vorbis and flac I'd try it.

ok thats some wierd grammar.. whatever

Reply #82
hehe.. I do not really, per say, feel that way about vorbis; if another format came along and it was open source like vorbis and flac I'd try it.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

MPC is open source: See [a href="http://www.musepack.net/]Musepack.net[/url]
The object of mankind lies in its highest individuals.
One must have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star.

Reply #83
I'd like to use OGG more, but Vorbis development has been lacking.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=278284"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Compared to a few years ago, Vorbis development has picked up quite a bit, esp. how it managed to climb the rankings in the 128 kbps listening tests.

Reply #84
MPC is open source: See Musepack.net
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=278714"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

So is LAME, FAAC and so on.

Being open source is hardly a selling point to any format.

Reply #85
I used to be an AAC user when I got my iPod but now I've been reripping my collection with EAC and LAME MP3.  The reason for switching is for the most compatibility while achieving high quality.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The time of the floppy disk is finally done; ABS and airbags are standard equipment on new vehicles; [a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?A=details&kw=PHDVP642&is=REG&Q=&O=productlist&sku=339741]MPEG4 plays on inexpensive standalone DVD players[/url].
I think it's time to let go, and not worry about the legacy support so much.  Or maybe it's time to FLAC it all, since we're headed there anyways
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=276889"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Disc Playback Formats      
Video     DVD, DVD+R/RW, DVD-R/-RW, VCD, SVCD, MPEG-4, DivX 3.11/4.x/5.x
Audio     CD, CD-R/RW, MP3-CD (-256 kbps)  <<<<< Where's the MPEG4 Audio playback?
I wonder if the MPEG4 video player would just the AAC audio stream, since it has to support AAC.

Maybe there is a way to create a blank MPEG4 video track at a very low bitrate?

Reply #86
I use MPC mainly because they don't like people having mp3's on our HDs at work! I have more than 10 Gigs worth of music on my HD at work, all MPC.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=276971"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That's hilarious!
Alternately, you could always change all of the file extensions of your mp3 files from to .wav and just play them as a wav-embedded mp3 file.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=276983"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Winamp supports user defined extension in its mp3 input plugin too!

Reply #87
I voted Vorbis even if recently i came back to Lame for my latests encoding (due to my iHP batery decreasing life)
Anyway i wish to use MPC in quite near futur thanks to Rockbox... Even if it will mean reripp most of my AudioCDs... :/
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=277116"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The wonderful thing about reripping to mpc is it's encoding speed makes it a magnitude less painful than Lame 3.90.3. Instead of ripping 5 albums a day I can rip about 10.

Reply #88
The wonderful thing about reripping to mpc is it's encoding speed makes it a magnitude less painful than Lame 3.90.3. Instead of ripping 5 albums a day I can rip about 10.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=278756"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Ever tried 3.96.1? And maybe even -V 2 --vbr-new ?
Sergio
M-Audio Delta AP + Revox B150 + (JBL 4301B | Sennheiser Amperior | Sennheiser HD598)

Reply #89
It's interesting it can't make it to the top spot in HA community, full of people that knows what is good
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=278681"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I've got the same thought. May it be because of increasing popularity of lossless formats (due to the grow of HDD space) in cost of HQ lossy ones?
Mp3 just can't be unpopular as long as 1) it's heavily developed and tested, 2) it's the only format that every mp3 player can handle.

Nice avatar by the way. Évariste Galois was one of the missing geniuses represented as avatar in HA community
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=278681"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yeah thanks.  Really, I just totally adore the uglyness of his face, lol!

[span style='font-size:9pt;line-height:100%']Edit: gr.[/span]

Reply #90
Mp3 just can't be unpopular as long as 1) it's heavily developed and tested, 2) it's the only format that every mp3 player can handle.

If mp3 players couldn't handle mp3 files, they wouldn't be called mp3 players then would they

I think they call them mp3 players for a reason!

(NO OFFENSE MENT - JUST COULDNT HELP MYSELF)

Reply #91
Mp3 for me - mainly cause its the only thing handled by my mp3 player

also - is there that much difference really? I definately cant tell the difference between any of them

first HA post!

Reply #92
If mp3 players couldn't handle mp3 files, they wouldn't be called mp3 players then would they

I think they call them mp3 players for a reason!
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=279026"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

LOL Yes I knew that, just used a not-so-correct word construction. 
Anyway, you DID get my point, didn't you?

Reply #93
Anyway, you DID get my point, didn't you?

Yes I got the point you were making! 

Reply #94
I personally use 3.96.1 (-V 5 --athaa-sensitivity 1) in an attempt to support the continuing development, and in the belief that it is at least equal to 3.90.3.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=277250"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I completely agree. Another reason I switched to 3.96.1 is that it is much faster than the effete 3.90.3
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=277251"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The fact that 3.96.1 is recommended by the developers must also be taken into consideration.  By the way, I just use --preset standard to keep it simple.

As you know I found that the two version of LAME were mathematicaly indistinguishable in my article that got me in so much trouble.  BUT this was true only at the higher quality settings (standard and extreme).  So if someone still wants to use VBR 128 they should try 3.90.3 IMHO.  Always test for yourself kids, never take anyone's recomendation on blind faith.

Since I don't care about lower settings, I will stick with 3.96.1 until 3.97 comes out.  Then I will test it with listening tests and with my correlation program to make sure it has not regressed.

In response to Synthetic Soul, the fact that portable players all support mp3 is a serious practical consideration.  However, if I thought Ogg (or MPC, AAC, or ...) was better I would make the effort to use it (hacks are even available for iPods to play Ogg Vorbis).  Right now Ogg is very close IMHO.  However, to get comparable results you have to accept slightly less compression with Ogg compared to LAME.

As a fan of open source, I will keep rooting for Ogg.  Considering that it started later and has fewer people working on the code, it has come a LONG way.  It may still win in the end

One last thought: I wish I had ripped my CD collection to FLAC as several people have mentioned.  What an idiot I was!  This would make switching to Ogg or whatever comes next soooo much easier.  I guess I have another weekend project.

Reply #95
I'm honestly surprised to find that so many people still use MP3. I switched to Ogg Vorbis months ago. I understand the hardware variables, though, as I'd be pretty reluctant to give up usage of a nice portable player solely to support an improved codec. To be honest, though, that's just what I did: I bought a used MP3 CD Discman several months back, but I've barely used it because I prefer Vorbis. I'm a man of principle to a fault. Still, I hope Vorbis will continue gaining support.

I do think that in within 10 years, lossless will be the standard audio format. We'll have so much space and bandwidth that it simply won't matter. Lossy will be the "other choice." My opinion.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=277402"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

See my response to rjamorim with my thoughts about why I still use MP3.  I really like Ogg Vorbis too.

I have to disagree with your prediction about lossless.  I think it will grow in popularity, but I can store at least 3 times as much music with LAME --present standard vs. any lossless I have tried.  Even though terabyte hard drives are just around the corner, there are other considerations:

1. When you do your regular system backups it will go 3 times faster.
2. When you download to your player it will go 3 times faster.
3. If you stream over the internet it will be probably even faster because you can compromise on quality.
4. I don't support file sharing, but people will continue to do it and this will still encourage lossy codecs.

Remember that lossy is a relative term.  I can not tell Ogg Vorbis -q 7 apart from lossless with my ears.  Why should I throw away disk space when I don't have to?

That being said, I still plan on making a master backup up my CD's using FLAC.  This will keep my CD's backed up and support any kind of technology I might switch to later (e.g. Ogg).

Reply #96
Well said, Turing. I was rather brash in my other post there. I do think that lossless probably will become much more popular over the years, and might one day become more popular than lossy, given huge unknown technological advances in the next decade or three, but your considerations are good ones. Thanks for the feedback. It will undoubtedly be interesting to see where we end up in 30 years.

Reply #97
Shame there is no »all except WMA« option.

My answer depends heavily on what exactly is meant by the question. I listen a lot to MP3s because that’s how I encoded my CD collection a long time ago. New music becomes mainly Vorbis (voted for that), though lately I’m more and more attracted to MPC. For movie backups, however, I only use HE-AAC or the unprocessed AC3.

Why not AAC for music? Dunno. Somehow AAC doesn’t have the feel of a »transparent quality music backup format«. I know that’s wrong and I tried encoding music to AAC. Well, a few days later I re-encoded everything to Vorbis, though I could never ABX either one.

Reply #98
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=278756"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Ever tried 3.96.1? And maybe even -V 2 --vbr-new ?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=278759"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

No.

I use MPC at standard for computer playback. I can reencode these to mp3 when I get a portable music player.
I encode classical and jazz at xtreme, just to be safe.
My cheap Apex dvd player plays back mp3, but I never use it for that.

I might just get an iriver and use the Rockbox firmware which will supports MPC.

Reply #99
i still (gladly) use mp3 for my lossy purposes.  i am very happy with it.  it just amazes me what lame has done for mp3.  nevertheless, i would love to switch to ogg or mpc, if it wasnt for the popularity of wmp and itunes, and their limited support.  you see, i love to share my music w/ friends, just to let them try stuff out, and see what they might like, and 90% of the people i know either use wmp or itunes.  its very unfortunate, because i want other people to be able to listen to my music w/o me having to transcode.

oh well, i guess all i can do in the meantime is try to convert my friends to more versitile player, and hope that the proprietary "jukeboxes" will become more versitile (i doubt it tho).  until then, im very happy w/ mp3.
a windows-free, linux user since 1/31/06.