Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Quality of burned audio CD's from images (Read 5999 times) previous topic - next topic

Quality of burned audio CD's from images

Simple question here:

When burning an audio CD from a CD image that was created from the ORIGINAL disc, does the burned CD contain the same identical quality as the original, or is there some quality loss in the conversion process? Thanks for your answers.

Reply #1
Simple question here:

When burning an audio CD from a CD image that was created from the ORIGINAL disc, does the burned CD contain the same identical quality as the original, or is there some quality loss in the conversion process? Thanks for your answers.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=337715"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

An image is an exact copy - it's a digital representation of the actual physical structure of the original information. There is no loss of data or quality. As a matter of fact, your PC will recognize the copy as the original disc.
EAC>1)fb2k>LAME3.99 -V 0 --vbr-new>WMP12 2)MAC-Extra High

Reply #2
Unless the image file was made with some unsecure ripper, then it may contain unrecovered errors which will be burned to the disc too.

Reply #3
Unless the image file was made with some unsecure ripper, then it may contain unrecovered errors which will be burned to the disc too.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=337720"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

In the matter affect, I've tried ripped a HDCD. To my suprise, when I played the burned copy, the HDCD logo appear in my CD player.

Reply #4
Yeah, the quality of the image is highly dependent on the quality of the original disc. In my experience with unprotected audio CDs, however, if the ripping process completes, you can be pretty sure that you have a perfect, error-free copy. I recommed Alcohol 120% for copying CDs and any ripper plus AnyDVD for DVDs.

Reply #5
Okay, just checking. Thanks for your help.

Reply #6
I recommed Alcohol 120% for copying CDs
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=337723"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

This topic is about audio CDs, recommending Alcohol for making images of audio CDs is an absurd, for audio CDs secure ripper is needed - EAC, otherwise the chances of getting bit-perfect copy are low.

Reply #7
This topic is about audio CDs, recommending Alcohol for making images of audio CDs is an absurd, for audio CDs secure ripper is needed - EAC, otherwise the chances of getting bit-perfect copy are low.

It's always worked for me, and besides, Alcohol has options that better enable the copying of dual-session discs such as Enhanced CDs, which some programs seem to have issues with. Also, there's also the fact that Alcohol's documentation is considerably better than EAC's (which is almost nonexistent and requires either submitting questions or a Google search - frustrating and time consuming), thereby making it much easier to use.

Don't get me wrong - EAC's a very capable program, but I find its usability very lacking. I use it only when I have a copy protected audio CD that other programs can't rip. To each his own, however.

Reply #8
Data CDs and audio CDs have different error correction schemes. Alcohol may allow ripping of problem audio CDs (copy protected, etc.), that will sound OK, but the point is that it does not ensure a "perfect, error-free copy" of audio CDs.

Reply #9
Data CDs and audio CDs have different error correction schemes. Alcohol may allow ripping of problem audio CDs (copy protected, etc.), that will sound OK, but the point is that it does not ensure a "perfect, error-free copy" of audio CDs.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=337929"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Cool. Never too late to learn something new. Could someone then point me to some instructions as to how to rip an image (no CUE sheet, please) in EAC? I'd like to find out.

EDIT: I've been searching around, and CUE sheet + WAV seems to be the only way that EAC does imaging. Personally, I prefer Alcohol's MD* formats from an ease-of-use standpoint.

Reply #10
I've been searching around, and CUE sheet + WAV seems to be the only way that EAC does imaging. Personally, I prefer Alcohol's MD* formats from an ease-of-use standpoint.

Yeah, since EAC is a tool for extracting digital audio, rather than just treating it as data - it's disc "images" can only be in PCM/WAV format. If you wanted to ensure bit perfect audio copies, you could always load the EAC extracted WAV + CUE into Alcohol, then convert (virtually rip) to whatever image format you prefer. Of course for your needs this may be more complicated than you feel is necessary.

Though I can't imagine why anyone would want to store audio files uncompressed. Losslessly compressed images are much more practical.

edit: clarification

Reply #11
Though I can't imagine why anyone would want to store audio files uncompressed. Losslessly compressed images are much more practical.

Actually I don't store them, I just use Alcohol to copy discs, that's all. The process goes disc -> image -> burn copy. With that method, the discs are "exact" (apparently that term is inaccurate if you're not using EAC around these parts) in that any CDDB or AMG-enabled music player will identify the CD as the original, complete with the associated metadata.

Reply #12

Actually I don't store them, I just use Alcohol to copy discs, that's all. The process goes disc -> image -> burn copy. With that method, the discs are "exact" (apparently that term is inaccurate if you're not using EAC around these parts) in that any CDDB or AMG-enabled music player will identify the CD as the original, complete with the associated metadata.

Oh.  I just rip to, and burn from, WAV + CUE. (And have no problem with the copies being recognized by freedb.org)

Nothing wrong with your methods, as long as you're happy with the results and don't care if the copies may not be 100% accurate.

Reply #13
Your method works ok. When I want to copy Enhanced CDs, though - the ones that have other multimedia content on them - Alcohol comes in handy. Of course, a lot of people don't care for extra content, but whatever.

Reply #14
Your method works ok. When I want to copy Enhanced CDs, though - the ones that have other multimedia content on them - Alcohol comes in handy. Of course, a lot of people don't care for extra content, but whatever.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=337972"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes, I found EAC just would not copy Kraftwerk's Minimum-Maximum, presumably because of the PC player software it includes.

I had to revert to Nero 6 and Windows Media Player 10 for the MP3s (which included a few clicks in the rips. Makes you realise how good EAC is).

Reply #15
I had to revert to Nero 6 and Windows Media Player 10 for the MP3s (which included a few clicks in the rips. Makes you realise how good EAC is).
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=339318"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That's odd. I've ripped Enhanced CDs with WMP many times without issue. Unless that CD was copy protected. WMP can't handle copy protected CDs. Also, in all my experience with ripping with WMP, I've gotten exactly 1 tiny skip on the song The Patient on Tool's Lateralus CD. Reripping solved that problem.

Reply #16
[/quote]

That's odd. I've ripped Enhanced CDs with WMP many times without issue. Unless that CD was copy protected. WMP can't handle copy protected CDs. Also, in all my experience with ripping with WMP, I've gotten exactly 1 tiny skip on the song The Patient on Tool's Lateralus CD. Reripping solved that problem.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=339326"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
[/quote]

...it does carry a message about copy protection.