Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Question about EAC "quality" (Read 8832 times) previous topic - next topic

Question about EAC "quality"

Reply #25
Try this:
Decode MP3 to wav using winamp.
Burn audio CD.
Play the CD in a normal CD player.
See if you can still hear the pops.

Thanks, but I don't hear pops. It was _io_.
\"The R.I.A.A. is out there\"

Reply #26
Now that I'm ripping, I remember that most of the 99.9% quality I get are because there is error correction between the tracks. It's a slight bug in EAC. AFAIR, the rereading is required to synch between tracks, but is sometimes improperly displayed as error correction, while it should be hidden, thus the quality is actually 100 %.

I wanted to see if this was true. I bought a brand new pressed CD. It had absolutely no dust, visible scratches or finger prints on it-in a nutshell, it was almost straight out of the oven. I inserted the disc in my computer. Ripped all the tracks with EAC 0.9b4 with the following options:
Secure mode, check mark next to "Accurate stream", check mark next to "Drive caches audio data", no check mark next to "Drive supports C2 error correction".
I did a "Test & Copy". All the CRCs matched. However the first two songs had 99.99% "Track Quality". The "Track Quality" indicator starts lighting up after 99.99% of the track is ripped in both cases. The remaining tracks had 100% "Track Quality".
I then did a "Test & Copy" of the first track only. The result - 99.99% "Track Quality".
I then did a "Test & Copy" of the second track only. The result - 99.99% "Track Quality".
Conclusion: In my case, the statement quoted above does not hold good. So what could be wrong? Is it the ASPI layer? Is my brand new CD defective? How long will it live? I use an Asus 52x CDROM drive. Somebody please help.

Reply #27
Maybe the drive only understands the read command per track, and offset correction has to read through the next track, therefor performing a synchro.
Maybe there is a problem with tracks markers. I once got a strange bug in CD Architect : the tracks burned that were multiple of 4 (track 4, 8, 12 ...) could not be seeked from a Yamaha hifi Player, while the computer recognized them without problem. I don't know how track markers works. IIRC, I sometimes have error correction at track change even reading by range.