Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Correct values for dither in Adobe Audition (Read 9311 times) previous topic - next topic

Correct values for dither in Adobe Audition

L.S.,

For mastering purposes I want to apply dither to a 32 bits audio sample (to make it suitable for cd) and I want to do this with Adobe Audiotion 1.5.

When I go to the Mix Down Dithering Options, I have to fill in 3 items. The PDF, its noise shaping and the amount of Dither Depth in bits. Is this a peak value, or a peak-to-peak or even an RMS value. I want to use 2 LSB peak-to-peak triangular dither with no noise shaping. Can anyone help me out?

Regards,
Jacco
Logical reasoning brings you from a to b, imagination brings you everywhere.

Reply #1
L.S.,

For mastering purposes I want to apply dither to a 32 bits audio sample (to make it suitable for cd) and I want to do this with Adobe Audiotion 1.5.

When I go to the Mix Down Dithering Options, I have to fill in 3 items. The PDF, its noise shaping and the amount of Dither Depth in bits. Is this a peak value, or a peak-to-peak or even an RMS value. I want to use 2 LSB peak-to-peak triangular dither with no noise shaping. Can anyone help me out?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=307475"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes, the correct settings to deliver this are Enable Dithering, Dither Depth (bits) 1, p.d.f. triangular, No noise shaping.

It's RMS in this case, but I haven't checked the other dither options to see if it's always RMS.

Cheers,
David.

Reply #2
Thank you. I assume that the math behind it is quite straightforward: to go from 1 bit RMS and peak-to-peak 2 LSB. For now I can go on.

Regards,
Jacco

Reply #3
I'm using 0.5 bits, shaped triangular, no noise shaping. It's not that I understand the secrets of dither. I just found this to be the best compromise between noise increase and distortion reduction by listening test (turning up the volume, of course), and I prefer to have less noise and more distortion.  More than 0.5 bits changes silence into dither noise, and I want null samples to stay null samples.
I know that I know nothing. But how can I then know that ?

Reply #4
compromise between noise increase and distortion reduction
Yes, I am aware of such trade-offs. For now, I want to stick to the theoretical background. If there is more noise involved, so be it.

Regards,
Jacco