Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: 352.8/384khz playback with ASIO on Foobar (Read 4679 times) previous topic - next topic

352.8/384khz playback with ASIO on Foobar

Hello All,

I am trying to perform 32bit 352.8/384khz playback through ASIO using foobar. Every time I start the audio clip which is also of 32bit 384khz, I get an error "Unrecoverable playback error: Could not create ASIO buffers" .

I tried googling this issue and the answer I found was to uninstall and reinstall the drivers, but that didn't help.

Can someone please help? It is urgent.

Thanks

Re: 352.8/384khz playback with ASIO on Foobar

Reply #1
Do you have ASIO drivers?   And, I'm guessing your hardware doesn't support that format.

(Regular Windows drivers should convert the data to something your hardware supports, and the audio should play.  But, ASIO doesn't do that.) 

Reply #2
Yes, I have ASIO drivers. I am able to play everything except for 384khz.

Reply #3
Random guess: your asio driver and/or hardware does not support that (very uncommon) sampling rate.

Reply #5
Yes, I have ASIO drivers. I am able to play everything except for 384khz.
What DAC/interface are you using?    ...DACs that go over 192kHz are rare and 32-bit DACs might be even rarer.   Have you checked the specs?    (And you have to be careful, because the higher-specified resolutions are sometimes only supported by the drivers, not the actual hardware...  I assume any-old cheap soundcard will play the file with the right drivers.)

Have you tried it with Windows drivers?   Is there a reason you need ASIO?  

Reply #6
I have ASIO drivers from Thesycon and I am trying to play these content on a headset which has support for this.
There is no other DAC except for some analog conversion happening through ASIO.

Reply #7
https://www.foobar2000.org/FAQ
I am using ASIO/WASAPI/etc output and I am experiencing issues...

Do not use alternate output modes unless you must. There is NO benefit in terms of audio quality to using these, as far as music playback is concerned ( read more on the subject ).

Additionally, on most systems, WASAPI (if available) is known to be more stable than ASIO.
"It's only audiophile if it's inconvenient."
-Kohlrabi

Sorry, i couldn't resist  :))
| QAAC ~ 192 kbps |

Reply #8
I have ASIO drivers from Thesycon
The drivers should be usually be supplied by the hardware manufacturer.  But if it's working with lower sample rates, maybe it's OK.

and I am trying to play these content on a headset which has support for this.
So you think...  I think you're demonstrated it's not supported.  ;)  Why don't you tell us the make & model and give a link to the specs?    

There is no other DAC except for some analog conversion happening through ASIO.
ASIO is software.  A DAC (digital-to-analog converter) is hardware... An analog signal has to come-out to the physical world. 

There is a DAC built-into every soundcard and assuming these are USB headphones there is a DAC built-into the headphones.

And I'm not trying to insult you, but if you don't know what a DAC is maybe we should talk about why you want such high resolution and why you want ASIO.    ...There is no audio or sound-quality benefit.   Are you doing some kind of experiment, or are you listening for pleasure?

Reply #9
This is not a commercial headset. I am testing this product which will become commercial after few months.
It does support 384khz, but not sure what is causing this to happen.

Reply #10
32-bit support is very rare. You may well have support for the sample rate but you also need support for the sample bit depth. Try 24 bps.

Reply #11
I am testing this product which will become commercial after few months.
Maybe it's a good thing you're testing it!  Maybe you've discovered a defect, or a feature that's not perfected yet.

In any case, you should be able to get some help from the manufacturer (or whoever you're working for).