Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Hard-to-compress rock song clip: FLAC at 90 percent of PCM (Read 1661 times) previous topic - next topic

Hard-to-compress rock song clip: FLAC at 90 percent of PCM

In case anyone is interested.

I sorted my CDDA collection by FLAC bitrate. A lot of noise music, but this is a rock song thing, which when you listen to it, is surprising that can be FLAC'ed only down to 90 percent of PCM bitrate. For what foo_dynamic_range is worth, it measures to as much as 5.
Not a known band at all - it is from some promo sampler issued by Metal Hammer and the now-defunct Northern Ireland Music Industry Commission.

This is certainly not the least-compressible thing I have; I have CDDA full tracks - even a full album! - that compress worse than this, but that is largely noise music, which, I admit, occupies just a tiny corner of my music obsession: With exception of an old Hypnoskull track (downloadable for free as .wav at their Soundcloud), everything involves Merzbow:
For those interested in Merzbow in lossless samples, Woodpecker No. 1 (from Pulse Demon, 1996) appears on some free samplers from the Relapse record label. The original master (free on this 194-track compilation)  is less compressible than the remaster (free here).

Re: Hard-to-compress rock song clip: FLAC at 90 percent of PCM

Reply #1
in your .wav, there are ID3 tags inside

Re: Hard-to-compress rock song clip: FLAC at 90 percent of PCM

Reply #2
Yes, and the format allows that.