Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Is anyone using WMA Voice to record and export (if using TTS) speech? (Read 500 times) previous topic - next topic

Is anyone using WMA Voice to record and export (if using TTS) speech?

Is anyone using WMA Voice to record and export (if using TTS) speech?
I know that WMA Voice (Windows Media Audio 9 Voice) is a speech codec, that it only works good on speech.
Quality for me is quite good actually, even at the lowest bitrate setting (4 kbps, 8 kHz, mono).
Check the files!
original.mp3 - Original MP3 file. What I fed in OpenAI's text to speech (used link: https://ttsmp3.com/ai) (Fable voice, normal speed): "What I'm hearing this right now is a example speech clip encoded with Windows Media Audio 9 Voice, which actually has a quite good quality, even at the lowest bitrate setting!"
wav.wav - Transcoded variant from above to WAV.
wma_voice.zip - - Transcoded variant from WAV to all the WMA Voice formats, notice it's very clear? So: WMA Voice is for speech, and you should too.
wma_9_2.zip - - Transcoded variant from WAV to equivalent WMA 9.2 formats, notice the metalicy and other artifacts? So: WMA 9.2 is not for speech, but it's for music and general audio. If you have only speech, you should use WMA Voice.
Remember that transcoding to WAV uses FFmpeg (2023-07-16) and to WMA Voice and WMA 9.2 uses WMAenc, which you can download from here. Many wishes and wises for clarifying the name of the tools I use to convert to these formats.

Re: Is anyone using WMA Voice to record and export (if using TTS) speech?

Reply #2
If you're using WMA Voice, be aware that the MS decoders have some problems: 
https://blogs.gnome.org/rbultje/2010/01/25/wmavoice-codec-dissection/
Not a problem for me, tested using MPC-HC (Media Player Classic - Home Cinema) from K-Lite Codec Pack. :)

Re: Is anyone using WMA Voice to record and export (if using TTS) speech?

Reply #3
Tell me if the Codec2 version (at 800 bps) of above sounds worse to you than WMA Voice. Attached.

Also attached: 1.4 kbps version.