Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: WaveLab Alternative Needed (Read 5161 times) previous topic - next topic

WaveLab Alternative Needed

Since I am going to upgrade to Vista when it becomes available I need an alternative to WaveLab as 5.0 will not be updated to support Vista and 6.0 is far too expensive for me.
The main features I require are VST support, ASIO support and most importantly, the ability to chain VSTs like I could in Wavelab.  So I can have, for example, an EQ and a compressor running in real time.
Sadly it seems that Adobe (whatever it's called) is unable to do this, neither is Sony Sound Forge.  I don't need  multi-track support, in fact I would rather my editor didn't feature it at all.
I don't mind spending a few $.

Tony

Reply #1
Since I am going to upgrade to Vista when it becomes available I need an alternative to WaveLab as 5.0 will not be updated to support Vista and 6.0 is far too expensive for me.
The main features I require are VST support, ASIO support and most importantly, the ability to chain VSTs like I could in Wavelab.  So I can have, for example, an EQ and a compressor running in real time.
Sadly it seems that Adobe (whatever it's called) is unable to do this, neither is Sony Sound Forge.  I don't need  multi-track support, in fact I would rather my editor didn't feature it at all.

Tony

Sound Forge 8 supports Vista......but if you don't have the software or are opposed to grab it from Usenet then this would be a $300 solution.

Reply #2

So you have to ask the question why are you going to upgrade to Vista if a essential piece of software does not run on it?

Reply #3

So you have to ask the question why are you going to upgrade to Vista if a essential piece of software does not run on it?

Well,  wasn't going there sinceFunkstar didin't ask related question but was wondering about the same thing. I can see why gamers may lust after dx10 but there are no compelling audio updates in new OS to make me rush out and fork over $400 to the Bill Gates foundation . As far as chainers go, have you tried this solution.? Not the most modern GUI but a cheap light weight alternative. I have templates that import 50 instruments and FX and this tool lets you mash around without having to launch heavy host application. There are many other alternatives.

Good luck

Reply #4
Why upgrade to Vista?  Well, I'm sadly just the type of guy that can't say no to new software - especially an OS.  Besides, from the 2 Betas I tried, I like Vista a lot.  It's considerably cheaper than $400 as I have an XP licence and the Dollar is weak just now, so it's affordable for me.  I like Windows...
Chainer looks nice, it's not what I need for my current task but I can see where I would use it.  Maybe I'll stick to mastering in Cubase until a good alternative comes along.

Reply #5

Tony

If you already have version 5, the wise solution would of course be to upgrade to version 6. Costs USD199 (look here). That is less than a new version of Adobe Audition or Sony Soundforge.

If you don't have a registered copy, also have a look at Wavelab Studio 6, a somewhat streamlined version.

Also, have you tried Adobe Soundbooth? Don't know yet if you can chain effects, but I guess you can. Beta is available for free.

Sorry if "Adobe (whatever it's called)" is targeted to Soundbooth and not Audition

Reply #6
Thanks, I'll try SoundBooth (never heard of it before, I was referring to SoundForge).
If all else fails I'll save up $199 for the upgrade, but I do grudge it somewhat :-D

Reply #7
Thanks, I'll try SoundBooth (never heard of it before, I was referring to SoundForge).
If all else fails I'll save up $199 for the upgrade, but I do grudge it somewhat :-D

i'm  interested, concerned about soundblooth
is there some review