Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Need to compress my music Library? (Read 5347 times) previous topic - next topic

Need to compress my music Library?

I have a huge library. I used windows media player to rip most of my cds to my computer. I was wondering if there was another format that would save space, but minimize quality loss? Any suggestions?

Reply #1
what bit rate are you using? is it CBR, ABR or VBR? MP3 or WMA?

Reply #2
what bit rate are you using? is it CBR, ABR or VBR? MP3 or WMA?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=348107"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

WMA

Reply #3
And what bitrate?

Reply #4
And what bitrate?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=348361"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Reply #6
This is just a comment: if you ripped and compressed at 128 KBps you are not too much concerned with quality.  Also, transcoding will reduce mediocre to pretty bad.  Why not add a second drive, or replace what you have with a larger one??? 
Nov schmoz kapop.

Reply #7
Let's just say there are better choices out there. Have you looked at this audio format guide?
Tongue-tied and twisted - just an earthbound misfit, I

Reply #8
I would re-rip; to just about anything but WMA. And I would re-rip at a higher bitrate than 128Kbps. Your easiest solution, whether you re-rip or not, and the cheapest, if you put a money-value on your time, is to just buy an external firewire or USB hard drive. External drives are less than a buck a gig. Internal drives, less than 50 cents!