Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Winamp Plugin: Cd Reader (Read 10081 times) previous topic - next topic

Winamp Plugin: Cd Reader

Using version 1.95, if I happen to have played a CD with Winamp + CD Reader the default speed (4x) is the limit that some ripping progs will run afterwards. I tried to email the author but his posted email address from the docs and the main site returned as invalid.

Setting CD Reader to maximum and re-opening Winamp on an audio CD is one workaround but not a great one since lower reading speeds using CD Reader is a good way to save wear on CD drives. If the author could be reached I was going to suggest that CD Reader could reset the CD drive speed upon closing Winamp.

I wonder how many people who use CD Reader might have thought their ripper was slow through no fault of its own
"Something bothering you, Mister Spock?"

Reply #2
Thanks for reminding me Volcano. I already had it but completely forgot about it.
Unfortunately using 2.00 beta3 results are pretty much the same.

This is a problem when browsing a CD when both these conditions occur: 1) a ripper lacks digital playback, and 2) drive has no CD-to-soundcard cables connected. Using Winamp + CD Reader works fine except that after Winamp is closed for the extraction process the maximum extraction speed is whatever setting CD Reader used.

Reply #3
I use CD Reader and it doesn't affect the extraction speed of my drives. It is set to 4x, and I can extract at full speed (18x) in EAC after using it.
Doesn't eject/close the tray reinitialize the ripping speed ? What drive is it ? The ripping program should reset the ripping speed itself.

Reply #4
My drive is a Plextor 16x10x40x.

I know it's hard to understand the wording of my previous message but it really is beyond the ripper's capability to change the drive speed after it's already running. You see, I'm peeking at the CD with Winamp, then checking boxes to extract tracks, and so on.

The CD Reader bug isn't very serious but I thought discussing this at HA would be the next best way of finding a way to inform the author since direct contact has failed.

Reply #5
I don't think it's CD Reader's fault. Only proprietary software specefic for some special drives can lock the speed. CD Reader can't lock the speed of your drive.

You can, in order to better spot the problem, open another ripper at the same time, set the speed to 4x, rip a track, then rip another track in your usual ripper at max speed.
I bet it will be stuck to 4x too.

If not, then it is actually a CD Reader problem.

If yes, try to launch the ripping program after Winamp is closed, to see if the ripper reinitializes the drive speed. EAC does with my Memorex (or maybe I'd rather say my Memorex reinitialises it spinning speed when EAC accesses the TOC), or to eject/close the CD to see if the drive reinitialises itself.