Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Hanging at close (Read 3399 times) previous topic - next topic

Hanging at close

Foobar2000 (v1.3.15) recently began freezing when I try to close the program. Windows just tells me it's "not responding", and I have to wait 5-10 minutes for it to force the shutdown. This just began happening a couple of days ago, and I have tried to eliminate possible culprits, but so far to no avail. I'm starting to get annoyed with this, so I'll provide any information you guys need to help me find and fix this problem.

Re: Hanging at close

Reply #1
I recommend using  Process Explorer to check thread activity. Double click on foobar2000.exe in the main view to open properties, then navigate to the Threads tab. The top-most thread there should point the reason for the hang. You can take a screenshot of what it shows and also check the stack of the top thread.

Reply #2
OK, here's what process explorer looks like when I try to close the program. The first is closing it normally, and the second is when windows forces the close. I have no idea what foobar2000.exe+0x119a69 refers to, but it appears to be the culprit.

Reply #3
Unfortunately this didn't provide useful information.

If you can create a memory dump of the player when it hangs Peter should be able to see where the problem lies. The dump can be created with Task Manager. If you are on a 64-bit OS you need to manually start the 32-bit Task Manager to create a usable file. You can do that by running C:\Windows\SysWOW64\taskmgr.exe.

Once Task Manager is running right click on the foobar2000 process and select "Create dump file". The file will be saved in your temp directory and you can easily open the dir by typing %temp% in the address bar field in explorer.

The dump file can be quite large so please compress it first. Windows has built-in support for zip but if you have WinRAR or 7-Zip installed you can use those formats too.

Upload the compressed dump file here.

Reply #4
I uploaded the requested dump file here. I've also found that it freezes when I try to change anything in the preferences. Overall, I'm getting pretty frustrated, so I really appreciate the help.

Reply #5
Analyzed the dump, looks like foo_upnp is locking up shutting WinSock down.

I also see Norton security software involved, perhaps try turning it off.

[upload hidden to prevent anyone else from getting it as it may hold sensitive information]
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.

Reply #6
OK, so foo_upnp is definitely responsible for the issue. When I turn off Norton Security Suite, the problem persists, but when I uninstall foo_upnp, the problem goes away completely. Unfortunately I use the upnp service quite often, and I would love to be able to continue doing so. Any ideas what the root issue may be?

A quick Google search gave me this, which looks like a similar issue, albeit with Linux running Wine.

Reply #7
Note that Norton's kernel drivers are still most likely running and traffic passes through it in some way even when it's disabled. If you have the latest foo_upnp and you absolutely need to use it, you may want to try uninstalling Norton to see if it helps.

Reply #8
I just completely uninstalled Norton Security Suite, rebooted, and tried reinstalling and running foo_upnp. No dice. The same freeze-up happened when I tried to close the program. I just don't know why it was working perfectly 4 days ago, and now its causing an issue. Is there anything else I can do to try to debug it?

Reply #9
Did you try resetting preferences of foo_upnp?

Reply #10
I haven't tried that yet, but I did take a look in Process Monitor to see exactly what was going on, and I did see a lot of "BUFFER OVERFLOW" when it was querying my library.

Reply #11
Buffer overflows are normal. It just means a buffer didn't initially have enough space for the data and its size needed to be increased. Typical use in programs is to query data size with zero length buffer and then allocate space once size is known.

I wonder if the hang is triggered by some change in your network, perhaps there's a bug in the abandoned foo_upnp that is now exposed by the client software you use it with.

If you can't find a way to make the component work again I have heard Asset and MinimServer are good alternatives.

Reply #12
Maybe the component's debug log can give you some more information.

You can enable it at

File > Preferences > Tools > UPnp > Server > Basic Settings

Reply #13
Here's the end of the log with the debugger:

Shutting down...
foo_upnp: 21008.21008724: PLT_UPnP::Stop(191)/9944: INFO: Stopping UPnP...
foo_upnp: 21008.21008849: PLT_HttpListenTask::DoRun(491)/7352: WARNING: PLT_HttpListenTask exiting with -20021 (NPT_ERROR_CANCELLED)

Reply #15
Still running into this problem. If anybody has any ideas, I'd love to hear them.

Reply #16
We can't fix the component but you could try if this experimental component helps. The idea is to monitor foobar2000 shutdown and if it detects that thread count doesn't decrease after 10 seconds it will forcefully terminate the process. I have no idea how well it works with this particular hang and would like to hear your comments.

Reply #17
I installed the component, but it doesn't appear to have any impact on the issue. Here are the logs. At this point, I'm resigned to the fact that I'm either going to have to just live with this issue until the upnp component is updated or replaced, or reinstall windows.

Reply #18
I don't think those logs are useful to anyone but the component author and he has stopped its development years ago.

Just to verify, you can't manually end foobar2000.exe process with Task Manager either? This is the assumption since the component didn't help.

If that's the case then the bug is not in foo_upnp but in a kernel mode driver. Since you already tried removing the anti-virus you should try updating network drivers.