Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: What Are Your 5 Favorite Albums Of All Time? (Read 84820 times) previous topic - next topic

What Are Your 5 Favorite Albums Of All Time?

Reply #225
If I could only listen to one album for the rest of my life, it would be soooo easy to choose:

Neutral Milk Hotel - In The Aeroplane Over The Sea

That's it, the other four don't even matter.

Reply #226
Here are my five. Although they are all extremely good, I can never live with so little music.
1)2pac- Strictly 4 My N.I.G.G.A.Z.
2)Bob Marley- Exodus
3)Metallica- Metallica
4)Peedo- Peedo & The Luna Empire
5)Apocalyptica- Plays Metallica By Four Chellos

Reply #227
1) Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of The Moon
2) The Beatles - Revolver
3) The Beatles - Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
4) Radiohead - Ok Computer
5) Supertramp - Crime Of The Century

Reply #228
This is a real tough one, but I figured I would give it a try (it has been fun to read through)...

Here we go... in no particular order:

Beatles - White Album
Little Feat - Waiting For Columbus
Roger Waters - Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking
Miles Davis - Bitches Brew
Beastie Boys - Paul's Boutique

This is not an "official" album, but Bob Marley from the Record Plant (recorded on 12/2/73) could be one of my favorite things to listen to.
Also, right now one of my favs is Leo Kottke & Mike Gordon - Clone, but I can't go so far to say it is one of the 5 greatest albums ever.

Other honorables:

Beatles - Sgt. Peppers
Pink Floyd - The Wall or Dark Side of the Moon
Bob Dylan - Highway 61 Revisited
The Bob Marley Box Set (Songs of Freedom)!....

And the list goes on and on...

Reply #229
The KLF - The White Room
Bruce Springsteen - Tunnel Of Love
Guns'n'Roses - Use Your Illusion I & II
Def Leppard - Hysteria
Lene Marlin - Playing Your Game

Honourable mention:

2Pac - All Eyez On Me
Shamen - Boss Drum
Stereo MC's - Connected
Roxette - Look Sharp

and at least one estonian artist:

A-Rühm - Laulmata Jäänud Laulud

Reply #230
One (or two) from each of my favorite genres:

5.  Kind of Blue - Miles Davis

4.  Moving Pictures - Rush

3.  Haitink - Shostakovich: Symphonies no. 5 and 9

2.  Stan Kenton - Kenton's Westside Story

1.  Reiner - Bartók: Concerto for Orchestra -Music for Strings, Percussion & Celesta - Hungarian Sketches

I could live the Reiner recording alone on an island for the next 50 years and still discover new nuances each day...  the same is true of the Miles recording even though I've transcribed all of Trane's and Cannonball's solos already.  The musical depth of these albums is still astonishing after decades of listening...

Reply #231
Alice Cooper 1975 Welcome To My Nightmare
Tiamat 1992 Clouds
Alice Cooper 1971 Love It To Death
Enigma 1990 MCMXC A.D.
Blind Guardian 1998 Nightfall in Middle-Earth

Reply #232
Well, I coudln't resist

1. Rolling Stones - Bridges to Babylon
2. Sepultura      -  CHAOS A.D.
3. Queen            - Innuendo
4. DDT (russian rock) - all of them
5. Tatar folklore  - all of them

Reply #233
Just 5? Hmmm. Without giving too much thought I'd probably go with;

John Powell - The Bourne Supremacy soundtrack
Danny Elfman - Batman soundtrack
Basil Poledouris - Conan The Barbarian soundtrack
Basil Poledouris - Starship Troopers soundtrack (Or the "Complete" score version I've got anyway)
Garbage - Garbage

Some other worthies being;
Hans Zimmer - Hannibal soundtrack
Jerry Goldsmith - Total Recall soundtrack
Alan Silvestri - Predator soundtrack
Radiohead - The Bends
Basil Poledouris - Robocop soundtrack
Techspot.com Editor

Reply #234
Considering how drastically my tastes in music have changed over say the last year or so I figured it's time to probably revise this.

1. Ayreon - The Human Equation
2. James LaBrie - Elements of Persuasion
3. Dream Theater - Awake
4. Dream Theater - Images and Words
5. Queenscrÿche - Operation Mindcrime

It took me a long time to decide on which 5, but really these are what I come back to the most often.  A huge amount of honourable mentions though.  Very large amount.  The progressive rock genre has lots to offer IMO
Nero AAC 1.5.1.0: -q0.45

Reply #235
Probably not my top five, but ones that I love:

Radiohead - The Bends
Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin III
Metallica - Metallica
The Red Hot Chili Peppers - Blood Sugar Sex Magik
The Mars Volta - De-Loused In The Comatorium

Hounorable mentions include:

The Smiths - The Queen Is Dead
The Stone Roses - The Stone Roses
Pixies - Surfer Rosa
The Arcade Fire - Funeral

Reply #236
Burzum - Hvis lyset tar oss
Darkthrone - A blaze in the northern sky
Bathory - The return
Mercyful Fate - Don't break the oath
Green Carnation - Light of day, day of darkness

Reply #237
Burzum - Hvis lyset tar oss
Darkthrone - A blaze in the northern sky
Bathory - The return
Mercyful Fate - Don't break the oath
Green Carnation - Light of day, day of darkness
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=344723"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Interesting, don't know any of these 

can you comment on style ?

Reply #238
Nordland is into the "black" type of metal, the old, first generations of it, and apparently he doesn't like a lot of keyboards on his audio-blasphemy.
we was young an' full of beans

Reply #239
Nordland is into the "black" type of metal, the old, first generations of it, and apparently he doesn't like a lot of keyboards on his audio-blasphemy.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=345106"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

thx    thought that it might be a special section of taste.... even I heard several sections of metal, never came across a black section. But it is also not my experienced area, as I do value a good keyboard a lot. 

Reply #240
Uff, just 5 albums? Thats difficult, because i like so many styles...... let's see:

* Ulrich Schnauss - A Strangely Isolated Place  (Electronica/Downtempo)
* Coil - Time Machines  (Drone/Minimal/Ambient)
* Limp - Orion  (Electronica/Lo-Fi/Post-Rock)
* LTJ Bukem - Journey Inwards  (Intelligent DnB)
* Flying Saucer Attack - Further  (Shoegaze/Noise)

- Lyx
I am arrogant and I can afford it because I deliver.

Reply #241
Its 6, but I couldent go any lower

Pink Floyd - The Wall
Pink Floyd - Animals
Pink Floyd - The Dark side of The Moon
Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
The Who - Tommy
The Who - Who's Next
And if you believe theres not a chance to die...

Reply #242
im from argentine so many of my favourite albums are from my country, anyway maybe you know them

1. Luis Alberto Spinetta - A 18' del sol (1976) - Jazzy Rock
2. Seru Giran - Yo no quiero volverme tan loco (1980)
3. Keith Jarrett - Nude Ants
4. Egberto Gismonti & Charlie Haden - Live in Montreal
5. Luis Alberto Spinetta - Kamikaze (1980)

BTW i think that 5 is not enough, think of an mp3 player that can carry just 5 disc, no way.

At least 10 album. My music collection is about 1200 disc, is a crime to pick up just 5 or 10.

Reply #243
Hybrid - Wider Angle
Orbital - Brown Album
Radiohead - Kid A
Ben Folds Five - Whatever & Ever Amen
Blackalicious - Blazing Arrow
:Foobar 2000:
:MPC --standard:
:iRiver H320 Rockboxed:

Reply #244
ALICE iN CHAINS -  ALICE iN CHAINS Unplugged
Filter - Title Of Record
Nine Inch Nails - broken [EP]
Pearl Jam - Vs.
Radiohead - OK Computer
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Too much 90's, brain overloading! ARGHHHHHHH! 
"And his eyes have all the seeming of a demon's that is dreaming." --Edgar Allan Poe, The Raven

Reply #245
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=345106"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The guy from Darkthrone, Fenriz, actually did a synth-only sideproject - experimental industrial ambient. I reviewed it in the sonic mansion review corner (Artist: Neptune Towers). Metal fans thought that it was uber crappy, people like me on the other hand thought that it was an avantgardistic masterpiece.
I am arrogant and I can afford it because I deliver.

Reply #246
Both Darkthrone & Burzum are also well known for their pro-Aryan nationalistic ideologies. Musically, "A Blaze In the Northern Sky" as well as others like this do a good job of creating a powerfully dark atmosphere. But because of their attitudes I can't say I like them.

Reply #247
But because of their attitudes I can't say I like them.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=356395"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Then just listen to the music, it's not like you can understand what they're "singing"
we was young an' full of beans

Reply #248
But because of their attitudes I can't say I like them.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=356395"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Then just listen to the music, it's not like you can understand what they're "singing"
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=356432"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Then I guess it's also ok to admire the Nazi's sense of style & clothing.. 

Actually I do like the music as separate from the people/ideas.

Reply #249
1: Dire Straits - Brothers In Arms First CD I ever purchased way back in 1985, still kicks ass today and ranks as one of the first pure digital - DDD - recordings ever made. Runs the gamut of hard rock to blues and even some jazz. Highly recommended for many reasons.

This is my primary test CD when it comes to auditioning audio equipment; this is the one CD I know like the back of my hand. It's highly dynamic and has one of the highest peaks ever recorded on a "music" CD - the peak level of -.02 db on "The Man's Too Strong" just about pushes digital recording technology to its limits - and remember, this album was recorded in 1984-85 when CDs and digital recording technology were still considered to be in their infancy.

Today's CDs regularly push decibels that high, but for 1985, -.02 is as close as it gets to the clipping point while still maintaining an extraordinary dynamic range across the entire album. The hard rock-ish "Money For Nothing" has a crescendo in the opening that hits the same -.02 db point. Amazing.

2: Rush - Grace Under Pressure This one hit me like a ton of bricks back in the days. My favorite Rush song of all time is on this album, "Red Sector A." Amazing lyrics by Peart complimented by the outstanding musicianship of Lee and Lifeson as always.

3: Joe Satriani - Flying In A Blue Dream I found this album in a local chain music store 2 MONTHS before it was supposed to be released - don't ask me how. Put it in the car CD player and jammed like no tomorrow. Had people offer me a lot of money for it before it was officially released, but I never gave it up. Satch is simply awesome. Some of the most expressive guitar licks ever recorded. "One Big Rush" is a song that even now, years after I first listened to it, makes me max out the volume on any equipment I happen to be using to listen to it. The song just KICKS and will give you inspiration to move move move.

4: Rush - Power Windows So I'm a Rush fan, sue me.  Their first pure digital recording, and you definitely notice it. The opening crash from "The Big Money" will wake up the dead on a good audio system. The bass in the opening measures of "Manhattan Project" can push subs fairly well too. Brilliant album all around.

5: Eric Kunzel & The Cincinatti Pops - Time Warp This album is my second test CD and for good reason. It contains some of the most powerfully dynamic music ever recorded. It's put out by Telarc, and anyone serious about audio quality will agree: Telarc makes the best sounding classical music CDS bar none. The audio that comes from those recordings is the closest experience to live I've ever encountered. It's also got a warning about possible damage to your hearing or equipment because it will push most any audio hardware to it's limits in order to reproduce the music faithfully.

This album is a collection of some of the best movie and TV soundtrack music of all time. Classic themes from Star Trek, Battlestar Galactica, Superman, and Star Wars round out a simply fantastic collection. The opening track was specially created by Don Dorsey using synthesizers and computers only and it's stunning in many aspects: the stereo seperation, the soundstage, and the sheer dynamics - this track alone has blown out many a speaker cone in my testing, and quite a few protection circuits on some of the most powerful amps I could find too. Even Bose 901 speakers and their famed "4000W peaks" can't do this CD justice at above normal listening levels.

Another one that I love but don't listen to as a music CD for enjoyment is the Telarc CD containing Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture with - get this - digital cannons on it. If you've never heard a real cannon being fired, been close enough to feel the shockwave of air as it slams into your body vibrating the hair on your skin, you simply don't know much about high fidelity and digital audio.

Just kidding there, no insults are meant nor implied. But if you've never heard that particular CD, head over to Telarc and order it quick - and turn down the volume to 1 or less when you first play it. That's not a joke, it's a friendly reminder that you can easily destroy your audio system or damage it considerably with that CD and the cannons - not to mention your hearing.

Oh yeah, Telarc just released a new recording of the 1812 Overture in all its 24 bit digital glory. The dynamic range jumped sky high and I bet it's astonishing. Haven't heard it yet but someday I will.

Ahhh... gotta love good music... have fun, always

bb
The difference between genius and stupidity?

Genius has limits.