Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Feature request: Omit Load button in File Ops dialog to autoload preset (Read 2090 times) previous topic - next topic

Feature request: Omit Load button in File Ops dialog to autoload preset

Sorry if this seems silly to some to write about this. But what is the point of the Load button in the File ops dialog.

Surely by selecting the dropdown and item in the dropdown it should then, select and load the preset.

Better yet: autoload checkbox to please everyone.

Re: Feature request: Omit Load button in File Ops dialog to autoload preset

Reply #1
But what is the point of the Load button in the File ops dialog.
The point is to load the selection when desired. Right now you can for example edit a preset and select any other entry from the list that you want to overwrite.

Reply #2
I get what your saying. But there's very few settings (6) to warrant that.

Couldn't you just create the same name in the editbox and then click save to override the same one. Even if you got the name slightly off you could just delete the other one. It's just not normal behavior of dropboxes of that nature and just feels awkward to use.

Like I said, an autoload preset checkbox would make everyone happy. Which would also allow users to do as you say.

Reply #3
Yes, I really want to have to remember a name and type it in manually to save over an existing preset, just so that selecting one can automatically load it. You know, because saving clicks is really important when you change your presets every 5 seconds.

So far, you seem to be the only person likely to be pleased by this sort of functionality.

Reply #4
Maybe, you didn't see the part where I wrote autoload checkbox. Maybe this 3rd time might make it clear.

No need for the passive aggressive answer. Relax, it was just a suggestion.

Reply #5
Right, and maybe if you noticed that I'm not the developer, you'd realize I probably carry zero weight in whether such an option would be adopted. So maybe my post was rather pointless passive aggression.

Reply #6
Maybe. Your comment just implied everyone uses this app like you do and you speak on behalf of everyone, who, more than likely all use this app in different ways. 

I've 2 presets for lossy and lossless media. Two different paths same title formatting, move all files, delete empty folders.

Keeping it simple and intuitive, like my initial suggestion.

Reply #7
The preset box is rather unusual among similar software. Being a combo-box that can be typed into, it cannot be unfolded by clicking anywhere but on the downarrow. The width of it is also quite small for a descriptive title. This issue is shared with the Converter dialog.

A better design in my opinion would the one used in Sound Forge. The listbox, stretching along the top edge of the dialog, is clickable in its entirety and loads the preset immediately in one click. Upon clicking the Save As button, a new small dialog pops up with a combo box where one can type a new name or select an existing one to be overwritten.

Reply #8
Those actions are available directly in the context menu without entering the preset editor. I for one only go there when I need to edit things and if the dropdown auto-loaded the preset it would make the task much more tedious. The presets are generally identical apart from path info, so I make my difficult edits in one preset and then just overwrite the others and do slight path editing in them.

I don't have Sound Forge to check what kind of system you are talking about but I know I find it easier to hit Load button than to memorize the name of a preset.

Reply #9
Let's just take look at how Adode and Autodesk do preset dialogs. I'm pretty sure the UX and UI designers in those companies have it sussed and know what works and what doesn't.

3 examples below. All trigger the preset upon selection.
These are just a handful of the programs I use as part of my job but a lot more are the same.

Edit.
Notice in the photoshop dialog all buttons are nicely grouped together relating to the saving, deleting and execution of preset and cancellation of dialog.

Reply #10
Sound Forge and Reaper both follow the same style, one is intuitively usable if you know the other. Except that in the latter the save button is a small plus symbol. The current preset name is pre-selected in the Save offer. Maybe Foobar can't have new exclusive dialogs appear on top for technical reasons, then the current layout is understandable.

Reply #11
OSD Plugin in foobar2k. Same deal.

Ok, last post. Enough examples.

Reply #12
OSD is not a good example, the presets are only "loaded" for editing, they all "run" independent of each other on configurable triggers, including hotkeys.

Reply #13
I'm sorry but it is.

Its behaviour of the ComboBox follows that of the Adobe and Autodesk examples I posted.

Reply #14
All presets are always "loaded", you are only choosing to display and modify one of them.

Right, so now you have your counter examples. Great. Now wait for Peter to do something about it. Or not.

Reply #15
All presets are always "loaded", you are only choosing to display and modify one of them.
In memory. 
Not going by two of the biggest software developers in the world, it's not. That's the point of the combo box auto-loading like the concrete examples I've shown. Not how you think it should behave by just displaying it to edit it. 
It behaviour should be to automatically load the selected preset to then have the option to either execute it, edit it, delete it or saveas/save over it in any of those combinations. 
Why would you edit first, select the preset and then save when the logical way would be, select the preset first, make your changes, click save or new to make a copy. Just like most software does it. Or click new and use the previous preset as an example to create a new one. 
I'd love to see any other software which shows FB2Ks behaviour. I've yet to come across any.
Please enlighten me. 

Reply #16
Fine. They're always in memory in foo_osd. I have no idea what those "biggest software vendors in the world" are doing, as I haven't written their software.

Reply #17
I've written their software? Guess they didn't listen to you then.

If you did you would've known exactly how they behave and not be replying with nonsense and with nothing to back anything up. Not sure if you're just trolling me or just broken.

Reply #18
At this point I would consider you being the troll with your persistent button issue. You made your point clear enough.

Reply #19
..You made your point clear enough.
I did, thanks. When someone else comes in and keeps replying with no proof of absolutely anything then that's trolling by not adding anything to the topic other than to be argumentative.
How can the OP (me) be a troll when I made a genuine request for a change.