Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Franken earphones ? (Read 2353 times) previous topic - next topic

Franken earphones ?

My SoundMagic PL-30 earphones finally gave in after two years – the left channel cable got broken near the plug.
Because I use it almost exclusively for listening to podcasts on my HTC phone, I thought that instead of getting new ones, I will just cut the HTC earphones like those:

above the microphone/remote controller, and attached the left/right plugs from PL-30 to it, replacing the HTC buds, which are not bad for a mobile phone piece, but still fairly crappy.

The only thing I want to know is if this can have negative effect on the audio quality when compared to unmodded PL-30? I can't see a reason for it, but I'd ask anyway.

Franken earphones ?

Reply #1
Just be sure to get the polarity right, otherwise you'll get strange phase-y sound (inverse phase between buds). The wires within the rubber are coated with a thin layer of plastic which you'll need to burn/scrape of. After soldering it together, be sure to isolate the + and - from eachother again. For instance with tape or shrink-tubing.

Franken earphones ?

Reply #2
Just be sure to get the polarity right, otherwise you'll get strange phase-y sound (inverse phase between buds).

Could you explain it a bit more? I have no idea what polarity is, or how to make sure to get it right.

Franken earphones ?

Reply #3
+ (red) and - (black) or + and ground (green/yellow). What I meant was you have to be careful not to attach the - lead to the cable that is supposed to be +, even worse is when you do this wrong on only one of both sides. This is especially true for speakers, but I can imagine it matters in headphones/buds as well.