Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Splitting single CUE into multiple CUEs, 1 per track (Read 5343 times) previous topic - next topic

Splitting single CUE into multiple CUEs, 1 per track

I have the usual combination of a single large lossless audiofile accompanied by a .cue file with tracks description.
I need a way to be able to access the tracks individually (as in, adding them to playlist/playing randomly a track at will), however the requirement is to keep the original file intact without splitting it into separate .flacs or other format files. So I thought, is it possible to create separate .cue files, that would descript a single track each? I tried removing all but one tracks' descriptions from original .cue, it does start playing from the needed track, but it does not stop playing when it ends. (I'm using PotPlayer).
I thought of an alternative way, to make separate playlists for every track. It does work, however with large albums manually creating playlist files is tiresome. Then playlists are often specific to a player, thus might result in problems with compatibility (I'm using .pls kind of a playlist).
Are there better approaches at this task? If the trick with .cue files is impossible, maybe some program to generate playlists automatically?

Reply #1
What software are you using for playback? Foobar2000 can load the .cue file and then allows you to access the tracks as if they were separate for all playback purposes.

As for the question, the redbook CD standard (which the .cue files are derived from) does not define a "track end" in any way, only track beginnings. A track is assumed to end where the next track begins (at either the INDEX00 or INDEX01 marker).

Reply #2
I'm using PotPlayer.
Yes, I can load .cue to player and select tracks, the idea was to get rid of this step so that I can select track directly from Explorer, like I'd do with separate audiofiles.
So it seems to be impossible to do that using .cue files only. Maybe I should look for a program that would convert .cue to separate playlist files. since both are text files.