Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.

Poll

Which lossy is YOUR daddy?

MP3
[ 218 ] (36.1%)
Ogg Vorbis
[ 154 ] (25.5%)
MP4-AAC
[ 68 ] (11.3%)
MPC
[ 146 ] (24.2%)
WMA
[ 12 ] (2%)
Other
[ 6 ] (1%)

Total Members Voted: 741

Topic: time for another what-lossy-codec-do-you-do-poll (Read 116249 times) previous topic - next topic

time for another what-lossy-codec-do-you-do-poll

Reply #50
For what reasons, If I dare to ask?
Many of the standard reasons, really: better quality at similar filesizes, being open-source, and being patent-free. And being more likeable in some intangible way. Honestly, I wasn't even really aware of MPC's existence at the time. Do you ask for a reason other than curiosity?

Reply #51
For what reasons, If I dare to ask?
Many of the standard reasons, really: better quality at similar filesizes, being open-source, and being patent-free. And being more likeable in some intangible way. Honestly, I wasn't even really aware of MPC's existence at the time. Do you ask for a reason other than curiosity?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=277417"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Just to throw you a TOS#8 reminder for bold quality related statements!   

Just joking... never mind! 

I understand (and apreciate) your subjective considerations; as I said I think the "freedom factor" is important. I don't use Ogg/Vorbis, but I'm happy and somehow re-assured by its existence. I was asking just to be confirmed that this factor had an important weight in your (and probably most other's Ogg supporters) decision. I can't (and wouldn't) comment on quality. I'm sure it is good enough for most people/applications, wherever/whenever a lossless codec is enough.

Sergio

Edit: unforgivable typo: bald/bold
Sergio
M-Audio Delta AP + Revox B150 + (JBL 4301B | Sennheiser Amperior | Sennheiser HD598)

Reply #52
Ogg as well, because it's made for small-capacity flash players!  It maximizes minimal space the best if you don't require transparency (HE-AAC does well in this regard too, but hardware support is minimal itself)

Reply #53
I do think that in within 10 years, lossless will be the standard audio format. We'll have so much space and bandwidth that it simply won't matter.

IMO, space will always matter to me. I have an 80g Neuros, and already I'm at the limit and I'm not even close to finishing encoding my collection. Not to mention needing capacity for all the great music I'd like to discover in the future.

I'm using mp3, because although the Neuros supports vorbis, there are a couple things that keep me away from it:

1) reported buggy support on the Neuros at Q6 and higher
2) increased processer demand = lower battery life
3) issues (HF boost, reported acoustic/classical sources sounding artificial)  seems less attractive than potential artifacts with LAME -aps IMO
4) based on the threads I read, having a standard setting for transparency seems less clear for vorbis than with mp3. Leading to increased confusion re compiles, switches.

And so far, the non-open status of mp3 has not hindered my listening pleasure at all. The Neuros is trying to adopt MPC support, and if/when that happens I'll probably switch to MPC at that point, but not reencode my previous rips because they're good enough.

I only use Wavpack for rips I've made from rare vinyl-only releases that really need to be preserved.

Reply #54
Space will always matter as long as obsessiveness exists. Why settle with a month of continuous music if you can have a year? Who knows when you will get stranded on a desert island and not be able to get to your computer to load the music you'll want to hear for the next month? (Nevermind the need for recharghing the battery)

Reply #55
Ogg Vorbis for me though I probably have more AAC and mp3s (for my iPod).  But I'm working on Ogg Vorbis so I guess I do Ogg Vorbis too

Reply #56
When I first came to HA I exclusively used Ogg Vorbis at -q3. After experimenting with Musepack and AAC for a while I borrowed my sisters mp3 player for a hospital appointment, then I reripped my music colection to mp3 when I bought my own afterwards (originally I transcoded my collection, I didn't have time to get my cds out before going to hospital).

I now use MP3 aps for most of my music. I still have a couple of rare cds encoded in Vorbis because I lost them when I moved house , I use FLAC with my other rare cds so I don't make that mistake again.

Reply #57
LAME 3.96.1 here, encoding with --alt-preset standard.

The main reason is compatibility (I can play it in iTunes, on my car stereo, and on my portable CD player) and they sound good enough.

I envison in a few years re-ripping to a lossless format, but I don't have the hard drive space (120 GB) nor the backup means (CD-RW drive still) to rip my whole collection.

So in the meantime, I'll stick with the tried and very true method.
iTunes 10 - Mac OS X 10.6
256kbps AAC VBR
iPhone 4 32GB

Reply #58
Add another vote for mp3 from me.  I've tried a few other formats and must admit that I really liked Ogg Vorbis, but in the end mp3 is the only format that's compatible with everything that I want to play it on.

Also I found that in order to get encodes that are transparent (for me and my equipment) I needed mp3's that are larger by only about 10% as compared with the best of the other formats I tested. So I switched back to mp3 for better compatibility, and the slightly higher bit rate I need to get the quality level that's suitable for me is really not an issue.

BTW, I'm really glad that Lame is still being developed and tuned. I'm currently encoding with 3.96.1 -V4 and have no problems with the quality at about 165 kbps, though I also have most of my stuff archived in lossless format as well.

Reply #59
Primarily i use mareo to create flac -6 which i burn to dvdr and lame 3.96.1 --alt-preset standard which i store on my pc and copy onto my ihp-140, i also have some oggs and mpc's encoded but mpc has no h/w support yet (maybe rockbox soon) and oggs drain my battery more than mp3 at similar quality.

So for now its MP3, untill another format can cover all my bases.

Reply #60
I second DreamTactix291 on this one. Vorbis because of the H120... Otherwise I'll probably do some serious ABXing of AAC and MPC once Rockbox is useable and supports them both - though I don't think FAAC/FAAD can beat MPC, but we shall see.

Reply #61
mp3 only for me.

Quality is far beyond my listening abilitites at any bitrate > 128 kbps. Its hardware and software support are unchallenged. mp3 is, I think, the only lossy format I'll ever use : I've already switched to lossless for most music on my pc, and mp3 is good enough for portable players.

Reply #62
after all mp3 seems to strike back

vorbis having more votes than aac? funny to see that happen on HA
I know, that I know nothing (Socrates)

Reply #63
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Are you really that surprised?

[a href="http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=24678]http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....showtopic=24678[/url]
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=2404

It has always been that way.

Reply #64
indeed
I know, that I know nothing (Socrates)

Reply #65
Basically I'll use what I feel like that day. My setup and hearing is not that great I'm able to really distinguish LAME MP3 from Vorbis, AAC, etc. and its not like my computer blows up when I mix Vorbises (whats the plural of that anyway?) with MP3s in one folder....
"We cannot win against obsession. They care, we don't. They win."

Reply #66
Codec. That's a hard choice... Because I'm still experimenting with different formats. But I vote for MPC, as it is the format I use for keeping my all CD's on HD since year 2000...
At these days it was the only transparent format with such bitrate/quality ratio for me.

Now I am also encoding to OGG, for portable player usage. About a year ago nothing at 128k could beat OGG for me, and now Lame came pretty close, but still I'm kinda allergic to MP3's preecho and flanging watery sounds (OGG's artifacts sound different).
Not really a Signature.

Reply #67
Ogg Vorbis, only on my Iriver H-140. If i need lossy on other devices in the future, I get back to my FLAC files and recode.

EDIT: Quality Setting 6. Different compiles, due to the constant developing. Nowadays I go with aoTuV b3 SSE optimised version - sufficient for me and the sound reproduction of my Iriver.

Reply #68
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Are you really that surprised?

[a href="http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=24678]http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....showtopic=24678[/url]
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=2404

It has always been that way.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=278251"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
According to those previous polls, mp3 is more popular than before... But is it also the case out of HA?

wma hardly gets 1-2% here, though I wouldn't be surprised if it got 30% among "basic" users

Reply #69
I started out with Fhg MP3, then WMA, then OGG, then to LAME MP3. (For maximum compatibility)

I'd like to use OGG more, but Vorbis development has been lacking. I'd like to use AAC, but lack of VBR in iTunes AAC turns me off. (I know Nero AAC has VBR support, but iTunes did slightly better in the last test). So it's LAME 3.96.1 for me!

Reply #70
I'd like to use OGG more, but Vorbis development has been lacking. [...] So it's LAME 3.96.1 for me!
Is MP3 still being developed?

Reply #71
I'd like to use OGG more, but Vorbis development has been lacking. [...] So it's LAME 3.96.1 for me!
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=278288"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Do a forum search and make yourself familiar with a community (by reading-only for a while) before posting.

- Lyx
I am arrogant and I can afford it because I deliver.

Reply #72
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

very much: [a href="http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=290]http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=290[/url]

and lame4 is comming

Reply #73
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=278288"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Do a forum search and make yourself familiar with a community (by reading-only for a while) before posting.

- Lyx
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=278290"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
@ J44xm : means yes

Reply #74
@ J44xm : means yes
LOL. Thanks, Zurman. But I will make myself more familiar with the forum, as suggested.