Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Power Hour Plugin (Read 9830 times) previous topic - next topic

Power Hour Plugin

Is there any programmer out there with spare time and willing to make a power hour plugin for foobar.  Basically it would change the song in the playlist after 60 seconds and continue to do so until 60 songs have been played.  I saw one out there for winamp, but i don't use winamp any more.  Thanks for the help.

Power Hour Plugin

Reply #1
Only problem is you need good parts of the songs to be played...

Power Hour Plugin

Reply #2
This wouldn't work well in foobar, because of the shuffle behavior.

Power Hour Plugin

Reply #3
Actually that wouldn't be the problem, as it would just be a random song it would call. The problem is you don't want the song to start at the beginning you want it to start at some up beat part, so basically you would ahve to create a plugin that creates a database where you can specify at a time to start at for each song. It would then go through that DB randomly and play those songs for 60 min, 1 min at a time, all it would need to do is add a chime in between each song...

Power Hour Plugin

Reply #4
Well, I don't think a "power hour" should include the same song multiple times.  And that's what would happen.

To do it properly, you'd also need fade-in/out.  I don't think anyone's going to be programming that anytime soon. 

Edit:  I suppose you could just randomize the playlist and avoid the shuffle behavior.

Power Hour Plugin

Reply #5
Is there any programmer out there with spare time and willing to make a power hour plugin for foobar.  Basically it would change the song in the playlist after 60 seconds and continue to do so until 60 songs have been played.  I saw one out there for winamp, but i don't use winamp any more.  Thanks for the help.

I'm just curious - what is the purpose of a "power hour".  Who would use it and for what purpose?

This sounds like a very easy component to write.  It might be a good project for someone who wants to get started writing Foobar components, but doesn't have a project in mind.

Power Hour Plugin

Reply #6
It's a drinking game, or so I was informed earlier.

Power Hour Plugin

Reply #7

I'm just curious - what is the purpose of a "power hour".  Who would use it and for what purpose?

It's a drinking game where you take a shot of beer every 60 seconds. 

Basically the plugin would work by changing the songs on the playlist after a 60 second interval and would continue to do so until 60 songs have been played.

Power Hour Plugin

Reply #8
LOL  Has anyone ever made it to the end to restart it? 
Master of Fate. By Fate Mastered

Power Hour Plugin

Reply #9
many of times  go college

Power Hour Plugin

Reply #10
Been there.  Done that.  But we were too busy running from dinosaurs back then

Power Hour Plugin

Reply #11
We've done century clubs, where its 100min worth of beer!

Goto love college!

Power Hour Plugin

Reply #12
It's a drinking game where you take a shot of beer every 60 seconds. 

Basically the plugin would work by changing the songs on the playlist after a 60 second interval and would continue to do so until 60 songs have been played.

Ah yes, college drinking games.  I don't remember too many of them...those brain cells were killed off years ago.   

Since this is for a good cause (beer + Foobar), I'll write a component that does this.  I should have something by tonight/early tomorrow morning.

Power Hour Plugin

Reply #13
Sounds good, but the problem I see with it is that you will have to have the user somehow figure out what parts of certain songs to play, since you don't want it to keep playing from the beginning but at some upbeat point in the song!

Power Hour Plugin

Reply #14
Sounds good, but the problem I see with it is that you will have to have the user somehow figure out what parts of certain songs to play, since you don't want it to keep playing from the beginning but at some upbeat point in the song!

Somehow, I expect that with the typical use of a power hour component, all of the songs would be upbeat...

What I am going to write is basically an intro scan component, with settings for the length of the intro scan and maximum number of songs.  So to use it as a power hour component for drinking beer, you'd set the intro length to 60 seconds with a maximum of 60 songs.  If you are shooting vodka, more appropriate settings might be more like 10 seconds / 10 songs... 

While I am not going to add it, it would be really easy to read a custom meta data field of the song indicating where foo_chug (that's the component's name  ) should start playing.  But, like the professors of the classes - which you'll be skipping due to a killer hangover - would say, that will be left as an exercise for the reader. 

An alternative would be to randomly pick a spot in the song to start playing.

Power Hour Plugin

Reply #15
foo_chugg, gotta love it!!!  Yeah maybe randomly would be an option...

Power Hour Plugin

Reply #16
As promised, foo_chug is available.

Much like the beer that will be drunk in conjunction with this program, foo_chug is cheap and nasty, yet satisfying.  I included the source code so someone else can maintain and update it.

Enjoy!

Power Hour Plugin

Reply #17
Cool
The BIG font is great

Power Hour Plugin

Reply #18
Aero thats a money plug-in, I have two requests, could you add like a chime in between the changes the user could pick from the system sounds?  Also would you be able to have it turn down the song to like half volume like seconds before the end and when you hear the chime, it should then bring the volume up slowly!

So basically it should fade in/out!

Thanks for the plug-in!!

Power Hour Plugin

Reply #19
Just noticed a thing that bugs at least me: when using the plugin (or just having the dll in foobar's dir) foobar won't resume playback after restart (and of course start playing on startup) even though both options are enabled from fb's preferences.

Power Hour Plugin

Reply #20
Just noticed a thing that bugs at least me: when using the plugin (or just having the dll in foobar's dir) foobar won't resume playback after restart (and of course start playing on startup) even though both options are enabled from fb's preferences.

It's this plugin? Damn... I was all puzzled why it didn't resume... Well... Thanks for the info =)
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe

Power Hour Plugin

Reply #21
Not too much of a biggie, especially considering the state of those using it, but there appears to be a time difference between foo_chug and FB2K that can be 2-4 seconds in length on the tracks of tried it on.  I *think* the timer on foo_chug begins as soon as start is pushed while the timer on FB2K starts when the track begins playing.

Power Hour Plugin

Reply #22
I've noticed some weird side-effects with foo_chug and my other component, foo_uftS.  I haven't been able to figure out any readily apparent reason for the problems (I am leaning towards a bug or some other unexpected behavior in Foobar), so until someone fixes the problem, I would recommmend deleting foo_chug from your Foobar directory.

Power Hour Plugin

Reply #23
Aero, are you still working on this?

Power Hour Plugin

Reply #24
Aero, are you still working on this?

Not recently.  I'd really like someone else to take over development, since I have too many other projects that I need to work on.